Five months later, FIR in medical negligence case

Published: 18 December, 2013 07:04 IST | Anuradha Varanasi |

Relatives claim Sonal Gangar and her unborn child died owing to negligence by a Ghatkopar hospital; cops kept turning them away with demands of paperwork

More than five months after a woman died from haemmorhage during delivery in a private Ghatkopar hospital, cops have finally filed a case against the doctor who was in charge of her treatment.

Sonal Gangar
Sonal Gangar

MiD DAY had reported how the family of Sonal Gangar (in pic) had been running from pillar to post, trying to register a police complaint (‘Cops still haven’t filed FIR for medical negligence’, September 21). The FIR was filed on Thursday against Dr Ajay Shah, gynaecologist at Jeevan Jyoti Hospital, under Section 304A of the Indian Penal Code (death by negligence).

Two lives lost
The 33-year-old Ghatkopar resident died during labour, along with her unborn child, on July 8, 2012. “However, timely treatment was not provided. After Dr Shah was called to the room, he called a cardiologist and anaesthetic, but by the time they arrived, she had died,” said

Dr Jayavanti Gangar, a relative. Dr Shah had to send a nurse to a nearby medical store to buy an injection, adrenaline and sodium bicarbonate, as it was not available in the hospital. “Now that an FIR has finally been registered, we are relieved, and would like to thank MiD DAY as well for the support we received,” added Dr Gangar.

The post mortem was conducted at Rajawadi Hospital, after which samples were sent to the state-run JJ Hospital for a histopathology report. The report said that Sonal had pneumonia, with haemorrhage of the uterus wall.

Rajkumar Kothmire, inspector from Ghatkopar police station, said, “When the relatives first approached us last year, a case of accidental death was registered, as the first post-mortem report was reserved. It was only after we received the post mortem and histopathology report from JJ hospital recently, that further investigations were carried out. After the hospital gave us an opinion and it was determined that there was indeed negligence, a case was been filed. We went to Dr Shah’s house. He was not in town. We are waiting for him to return.” 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK