Flight operations in Gujarat suspended due to Cyclone Vayu
A decision in respect of suspending operations at AAI's Surat Airport will be taken after analysing the weather
New Delhi: In view of the approaching Cyclone Vayu, Airports Authority of India (AAI) suspended flight operations at AAI airports in Porbandar, Diu, Bhavnagar, Keshod and Kandla from 12 midnight IST today to 12 midnight tomorrow. Senior management of AAI took stock of the preparedness of airports in Gujarat today through a Video Conference on Wednesday.
Western Railway: Western Railway has decided to cancel 7 more trains & short terminate with partial cancellation another 5 trains, as a precautionary measure in the cyclone prone areas over Western Railway. Total 110 trains of Western Railway have been affected. #CycloneVayu pic.twitter.com/1GE4YSiD3o— ANI (@ANI) June 12, 2019
As per the technical circular issued by AAI, this is done keeping safety in mind and in order to minimise damage to the airport infrastructure and to avoid inconvenience to any of stakeholders including passengers, AAI. The Regional Executive Director (Western Region), AAI and all Airport Directors in Gujarat have been advised to be in readiness to handle any exigency occurring out of this natural calamity and to issue appropriate NOTAM action.
Cyclone ‘VAYU’ over Arabian Sea at 0530 hrs IST of today, the 13th June, 2019 about 150 km south-southwest of Diu, 110 km southwest of Veraval (Gujarat) & 150 km south of Porbandar (Gujarat). To skirt Saurashtra coast with wind speed 135-145 kmph from today afternoon. pic.twitter.com/xzRJ7OnVZm— India Met. Dept. (@Indiametdept) June 13, 2019
Gujarat CM: More than 2.75 Lakh people evacuated. All sea-related activities have been stopped. All depts are on alert. Senior Ministers&Senior Secretaries have been sent to control rooms of dist admn, they're monitoring situation. Planning had been done in advance. #CycloneVayu pic.twitter.com/hbVk8vBv16— ANI (@ANI) June 12, 2019
Pankaj Kumar, Additional Chief Secretary of Revenue: No casualties have been recorded due to #CycloneVayu till now. The deaths (6 deaths in last 2 days) is not due the cyclone, rather it is due to monsoon. #Gujarat pic.twitter.com/ssUu3X5HGY— ANI (@ANI) June 13, 2019
Equipment and heavy machinery have been moved to safety at respective airports and the Airport Directors of AAI's Bhuj and Jamnagar Airports have been asked to write to the Indian Air Force to suspend operations of civil flights from these two airports also. A decision in respect of suspending operations at AAI's Surat Airport will be taken after analysing the weather. As per the latest information received, a total of 27 flights got diverted till 7:50 pm today.
Top stories of the day
- 'Our whole life destroyed, why should he live?'
- Mumbai: Andheri colony locals shudder at tree breaks
- Rain, wind make cladding around Gandhi mural fall on man, killing him
- Esplanade should be fixed, not demolished, say heritage committee
- Parts of Mumbai may face 10-15 percent water cut till June 14
- Mumbai police help disaster management gain traction on Twitter
- Maoists arrested in May 1 Gadchiroli attack case sent to police custody
- SGNP hosts firefly show despite environmentalists' red flag
- Cabinet expansion: Shiv Sena loyalists likely to miss ministerial berth
- 'Exclude marks given to SSC students for art, sports too'
- Uran graffiti man was in touch with terror suspects, say cops
- Man beheads nephew to 'appease deities' for bountiful harvest
- Rare photos of Mukesh Ambani with wife Nita, parents Dhirubhai and Kokilaben you should not miss!
- Pune police raid 83-year-old activist's Ranchi home
- Ola driver returning customer's wallet restores man's faith in humanity
- Aaditya Thackeray: The young Shiv Sena leader turns 29 today
- Aaditya Thackeray interacts with officials at BMC headquarters in SoBo
- Gujarat on alert as cyclonic storm Vayu moves towards coast
- Heavy showers and cyclone alert in Mumbai!
- Have you seen these fabulous pictures of Disha Patani?
- Bandra Diaries: Ananya Panday, Diana Penty, Krystle D'souza, Nidhhi Agerwal spotted
- Janhvi Kapoor, Mira Rajput, Kriti Sanon sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Juhu Diaries: Sara Ali Khan and Kartik Aaryan look from the next film goes viral
- Shahid Kapoor reveals an intimate detail about his relationship with wife Mira
- Stuart Broad's Nottingham pub does not revolve around cricket
- World Cup 2019: India hope to manage injuries and weather against NZ
- Sania Mirza slams 'cringeworthy' TV ads hyping the Indo-Pak WC match
- Rishabh Pant got nod for WC because he is lefty, says Sanjay Bangar
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe