Food: 20 quick snacks you can whip up during T20 World Cup
Watching the T20 with friends? Don't waste time in the kitchen. the guide picks out 20 munchies you can whip up in between overs
1. Grilled meats on a stick are an obvious option. How about spearing melon balls dipped in a lemon vinaigrette with a folded square of ham on a toothpick/satay stick? Simply pick up a stick and enjoy delicious food while staying glued to the sporting action.
2. Cut up a fried meat patty into squares and pair with a cherry tomato, bread bites and a bit of lettuce for a mini burger. You will have to make plenty of these since they will be quickly wiped out.
3. Try cooked meatballs dipped in a bit of tangy tomato sauce on a pretzel stick so guests can eat the snack and the stick.
4. Parboil, prick and deep-fry baby potatoes till crispy then season well with salt and pepper. Thread onto a stick and serve with a herby mayo.
5. Add triangles of hard cheese, chunks of crusty bread, paper thin slices of cured ham which guests can pair together.
6. Put out bowls of crumbed and fried olives with cold beer.
7. The Pinchos Morunos is a
delicious snack that guests love. Grilled pieces of chicken are placed on crispy toast dressed with aioli.
8. To make Tapioca Chips, you can cut thin slices and deep fry the Tapioca (a vegetable readily available in the market), toss them well with chat masala. This can be served with any dips like chilli sauce or schezuan sauce.
9. For a light Kurkure Bhel, toss Kurkure (1 pack crushed), chopped tomato (2 tbsp), chopped spring onion (2 tbsp), chopped cabbage, (2 tbsp), 1 chopped medium green chili, fresh chopped coriander (2 tbsp), malmal sev (2 tbsp), roasted namkin chana dal (1 tbsp), salted peanuts (1 tbsp), sweet mango chutney (3 tbsp), lime juice (1 tbsp) salt and chaat masala (to taste), in a mixing bowl. Save some coriander and sev for garnishing.
10. Stuff Button Mushrooms with finely chopped bell pepper, sauteed onions, garlic, basil leaves, mozzarella cheese,salt, pepper and deep fry them.
11. Beer battered onion rings with wasabi mayo will disappear in minutes. Dip onion rings in a batter of refined and corn flour, beer, salt and pepper.
12. Masala egg bhurji, ricotta and spinach. Mix the home made egg bhurji with a table spoon of ricotta and spinach. Buy frozen spring roll wrappers and stuff them with the egg mixture. Egg wash the sides to seal it properly and deep fry. Serve it with a sweet chilli sauce.
13. Cheese masala Maggi. Pre-cut vegetables (peas, carrot, corn kernels ) and add a pinch of chillies, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, chopped green chilly (optional) and grated cheddar cheese to the noodles). Use freshly chopped coriander to garnish.
14. Straw potatoes. Use potatoes grated on a mandolin (slicer). Deep fry them till golden brown and crispy. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese or some spice mix (paprika powder, garlic powder and dried herbs mixed together).
15. Use regular rotis made at home, spread pizza sauce and add corn, mushroom, bell peppers or other toppings of your choice and put it in the oven for 10 minutes. The roti pizza is also a healthier version of the original.
16. To make a peas dip, puree (a fistful of) peas, and blend them with hung curd (150 gms), mayo or cream cheese (2 tbsps). Add salt, pepper, paprika and oregano. You can serve with chopped carrots, cucumber or chips.
17. Bite into a Double Decker Frenchie. Instead of the usual French toast, make a sandwich with two bread slices and cheese in between. Dip it in egg and shallow fry it in a pan. Serve with tomato ketchup.
18. Wolf down Mug Brownies. Place flour (50 gms), sugar (70 gms), cocoa (2 tbsp), pinch of salt, and pinch of cinnamon in a microwave safe ceramic mug. Stir with a fork or spoon to mix well and break up any clumps. Add the oil (2 tbsps), water (60 ml), and vanilla extract (2 drops) to the cup and stir until the mixture is smooth. Place in the microwave and heat on high until the mixture is cooked for about a 1 minute and 40 seconds (for a 1,000 watt microwave). You may have to experiment and adjust the time for less or more powerful microwaves. If you don't know the power level on your microwave, start with 60 seconds and increase until the brownie is done. It should still be moist when cooked through. Let it cool for a minute and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a teaspoon or two of whipped cream poured over.
19. Try Popcorn Mushroom. Add refined flour (20 gms), corn flour (25 gms), garlic powder (6 gms) salt, pepper and water (60 ml) in a bowl and mix well. Dip roasted mushroom (100 gms) in the batter, then remove and put in pan and deep fry for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve Hot with BBQ sauce and tomato ketchup.
20. Groove to the Disco Idli. Heat ghee (10 ml) in a wok. Add the mustard seeds (1 tsp), ginger (thin juliennes), chilli (1 piece) and curry leaves (4-5) and let it crackle. Once it's done, add the mini idlis (8), gun powder (1 tsp), pepper, and salt and give it a nice toss. Finish it with the chopped coriander and serve hot. You can garnish with colourful bell peppers.
Contributed by Rushina Munshaw Ghildiyal, Light House Cafe, Silver Beach Cafe, Radio Bar, home chef Bishakha Kamath, Jamjar Diner, Mighty Small, 145 Kala Ghoda and Woodside Inn.