Football was silenced today: Fenerbahce

Apr 06, 2015, 08:12 IST | PA Sport

Turkish league leaders Fenerbahce call for suspension of Super Lig after team bus is attacked by gunman

Ankara: Fenerbahce have called for the suspension of the Turkish championship following the gun attack on their team bus on Saturday. The bus came under armed attack as it drove to the airport following an away match at Caykur Rizespor in Turkey's Super Lig.

The wounded driver of Fenerbahce’s team bus holds his head after sustaining an injury when a gunman attacked the vehicle in Trabzon late on Saturday night. PICS/AFP
The wounded driver of Fenerbahce's team bus holds his head after sustaining an injury when a gunman attacked the vehicle in Trabzon late on Saturday night. Pics/AFP

Fener said on their official website the bus driver was wounded in the attack and taken to hospital and there was no mention of any injuries to anyone else.

A statement on the club's official website yesterday said: "We consider that as long as this attack is not solved in a way that satisfies Fenerbahce and public opinion, a suspension of the championship is inevitable. Blood ran and football was silenced. Finding and punishing the culprits is of vital importance for Fenerbahce."

Ismail Kartal
Fenerbahce's head coach Ismail Kartal (right) looks at the shattered window of their team bus in Trabzon late on Saturday

'We cheated death'
Following the incident, Fener midfielder Mehmet Topal told Sky News: "We cheated death. God protect us. I hope our driver will be all right. Words fail me. It's unbelievable."

The club posted several pictures of the bus on their website after the attack which showed a shattered side window and damage to the front windscreen.

The pictures also showed blood on the driver's seat and the steering wheel.

'We came to play sport'

The attack followed Fener's 5-1 win away to Rizespor. The bus was going over a viaduct on its way from the city of Rize to the airport in Trabzon to return to Istanbul.

Fener general secretary Mahmut Uslu said on the club website the attack was "very wrong", saying: "We came here to play sport, we came to play football."

The Turkish Football Federation released a statement condemning the attack.

When sports teams came under gunfire...

8 Jan 2010
The Togo football team, while travelling in Angola during the Africa Cup of Nations 2010, comes under attack from Angolan rebels. Togo assistant coach Amalete Abalo and media spokesperson Stanislas Ocloo were among the three who died. Nine people, including two players, an assistant manager, physio, goalkeeping coach and another coach, sustained injuries in the attack. 

Ajantha Mendis
Ajantha Mendis was one of the six Sri Lankan cricketers who was injured on March 4, 2009. Pic/AFP

3 Mar 2009
Masked terrorists attack Sri Lankan cricket team’s bus while it is travelling to the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. Five cricketers - Kumar Sangakkara,   Ajantha Mendis, Mahela Jayawardene, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paravitarana were injured in the attack while six security men and two civilians lost their lives. Sri Lanka immediately cancelled the tour.

Go to top