Forest guard injured by wild elephants that entered Gadchiroli
A forest guard was injured by two wild elephants that entered Gadchiroli from Chhattisgarh
A forest guard was injured by two wild elephants that entered Gadchiroli from Chhattisgarh on Tuesday. According to the Deputy Conservator of Forest Niranjan Vivarekar, "The elephants, one of them with tusks, were seen near Kochinara village in Korchi tahsil at 8 am. Since there are no wild elephants in this part of the state, a large crowd gathered to see them. But the elephants got nervous by the crowd and pushed one of our forest guards, injuring him. He has been hospitalised."
Niranjan Vivarekar also added, "The elephants apparently crossed over from Manpur Mohalla area of Chhattisgarh. They are at least 2 km from Kochinara village and we are tracking them by monitoring their movements to decide on the course of action."
In another incident, a 55-year-old man was trampled to death by a wild elephant in Chhattisgarh's Korba district, police said. The incident took place in a forest in Jaam Pahad area where the victim, Shivlal Sarthi (55), had gone to graze his cattle, Divisional Forest Officer S Jagdishan said. Sarthi, hailing from nearby Bania village, faced a herd of elephants and apparently when he tried to flee, one of the animals lifted him with its trunk and slammed him on the ground, killing him on the spot, he said. Police and forest officials retrieved the body later, he added.
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai Rains: 6 ways to stay healthy and safe this monsoon