Friday Fertility Fundas: What are the common causes of infertility in men?
Fertility Is A Topic That Most People Shy Away From Talking About, But We Have Answers From The Experts
Fertility is a topic that most people shy away from talking about. But when it comes to burning questions that you are just too shy to ask someone face to face, we have the answers for you; answered by our expert Dr Anagha Karkhanis, Co-Founder, Cocoon Fertility
What are the day to day causes of infertility in men?
Common male infertility problems can either be abnormalities of the sperm or a physical problem.
Some of the common day to day causes of male infertility are
· Smoking – leads to a decrease in sperm function
· Binge drinking and long term alcohol intake also affects sperm quality
· Injuries and physical trauma to the testes - can affect sperm production
· Obesity – is a growing epidemic which leads to hormonal imbalance and decreased libido
· Poor nutrition and stress affects general health and fertility
· Chronic illnesses like diabetes and some infections can also lower sperm counts
· Some medicines taken for high blood pressure or depression can affect libido and sperm counts.
· Men working in certain occupations like pesticide and chemical manufacturing and handling units get exposed to these toxins which can adversely affect the sperm
It is a good idea to get a simple semen analysis done as a primary evaluation. Minor abnormalities are seen in about 30% men. These can be very easily treated with lifestyle modification and correcting specific deficiencies, in the form of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Other factors are dealt with, on an individual basis. Only a small percent of men need more investigations like blood tests for hormones and ultrasonography.
In a large number of cases the causes may remain unknown.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Ganesh Chaturthi 2019: Gold medalist sculptor makes eco-friendly Ganesha idols