Funny take on Sooraj Barjatya's 'young love story'
With Sooraj Barjatya keen to attempt a 'young love story', industry comics hazard a guess on how the film could turn out - all in jest though
Family values have always been at the core of Sooraj Barjatya films, but now the director wants to experiment with concepts that appeal to today's youth — something like a 'young love story'.
This was revealed at a recent press conference where he thanked "all the big families" for watching his latest venture, Prem Ratan Dhan Payo which has already grossed Rs 250-crore worldwide.
In pictures: Sooraj Barjatya's family-film connect
"There are a lot of youngsters who see me as an uncle and I hope I will appeal to them. But, someone needs to make these films (family dramas) too. I will try my level best to make a young love story. But I really don't know what the youth wants," said Barjatya.
hitlist invited a few funnymen to imagine what a love story a la Sooraj Barjatya would be like. Here's what they had to say:
Suresh Menon, comedian
It will be about a big, fat wedding at a cyber cafe with a title like Prem Ratan Facebook Pe Likes Payo or Hum Aapke Hain Wi-Fi. Salman or Saif Ali Khan can play a "teen" in it.
Sahil Shah, stand-up comic
The boy and girl will fall in love at the age of 45, because that's how old the Indian youth is in a Barjatya film. Besides, the boy and girl will get only to fourth base, which is touching the feet of elders.
Amrit Raj Gupta of Screenpatti
Before marriage, the heroine will chat with the hero only on her family Whatsapp group. Or maybe, after dining at a pure vegetarian restaurant, the hero and heroine will ask for Gangajal instead of a finger bowl.
Sorabh Pant of East India Comedy
I think the young heroine's mother would date the young hero's father in Sooraj Barjatya's love story. I cannot think of any younger concept. But, I am also interested to watch an action film made by him.
Krushna Abhishek, actor-comedian
The hero will propose to the girl only outside a Hanuman temple. The film would be shot at Haridwar, Badrinath and Shirdi. The costumes will be mind blowing, but they will only be pure cotton kurtas and pyjamas.
What we think could happen in a Sooraj Barjatya love story:
1. Two roses will be brought back from the '60s to be flashed on screen when the boy and the girl attempt to kiss.
2. The boy and girl will fix their first date after consulting the family pandit about a 'shubh mahurat'.
3. The girl will be dressed in lehenga choli for the date at Starbucks and touch the feet of the babuji of the family (Alok Nath or Anupam Kher) before leaving. The girl and the guy will order a glass of latte each.
4. The girl and the boy will be fed dahi by the women in the family before they proceed to chat with each other online.
5. The boy would carry an engagement ring in his kurta pocket on the first date.
All the comments have been made in jest; this is in no way an attempt to question Sooraj Barjatya's credibility as a filmmaker.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe