Gap between train and platform claims cop's life

Aug 07, 2013, 00:58 IST | Saurabh Vaktania

Constable was rushed from Kasara station to Fortis Hospital in Mulund but succumbed to his injuries minutes away from the hospital; family alleges that poor initial treatment cost him his life

In a tragic incident, an on-duty constable breathed his last in the wee hours of Monday morning near Mulund check naka, just stone’s throw away from the Fortis Hospital, where his family members wanted to admit him for treatment. Police Naik Babasaheb Bhandare was being rushed to hospital for the grievous injuries he sustained after falling into the gap between the train and the platform at Kasara station on Sunday night. 

The final salute: Police personnel give Babasaheb Bhandare a 21-gun salute at the Vikhroli crematorium where the final rites were performed on Monday evening

His family members alleged that improper treatment at the local hospital, where he was admitted soon after the accident, and delay in shifting him to a better medical facility resulted in Bhandare’s death. A resident of Tagore Nagar in Vikhroli, Bhandare is survived by his parents, wife Sangeeta and sons Bipin and Vaibhav.

The mishap
Bhandare (42), along with his colleague from Matunga police station, was assigned the duty of handing over an accused, involved in a cheque bouncing case, to their counterparts in Raipur, Madhya Pradesh.

When the train halted at Kasara for attachment of an extra engine for a smooth passage through Igatpuri Ghats on Sunday night, as it had been raining heavily, Bhandare got off to get water. He was still at the platform when he realised that the train was in motion. It was in his bid to catch the moving train that he slipped and fell into the gap between the train and the platform, and sustained internal injuries to the chest and lost his right hand.

Bhandare then called his colleague to inform him about the accident and asked him to carry on and hand over the accused to the MP police. He told is colleague that he would seek treatment at the local hospital. He then asked the local police officials, who were rushing him to the hospital, to inform his family about the accident.

Family speaks
Bhandare’s brother claimed that the family was informed late in the night about the incident. Narendra said, “Though the accident occurred at 10.40 pm, we received a call from the police after 12 in the night.”

Recollecting Bhandare’s last phone call he made after boarding the Howrah Express from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Kurla, Sangeeta said, “My husband said he is going to Raipur and would be back in two days. When I asked him how was he planning to come back, he jokingly said ‘I will come by plane’. We chatted for a while before he disconnected. Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined that we would be receiving the news of his accident within hours of his call. Our lives have been devastated. He was the sole breadwinner for the family.”

Tragic end
Bhandare was initially rushed to the Kasara Hospital followed by Shahpur Hospital where Narendra, along with Sangeeta and a few other relatives, arrived. Realising that Bhandare’s health was fast deteriorating, they decided to shift him to Fortis Hospital immediately.

Unfortunately, Bhandare succumbed to the injuries on his way to the hospital. Narendra said, “We were just 10 minutes away from the hospital when my brother breathed his last. The delay in providing him with better medical treatment killed him.”

Senior Inspector Raghvendra Thakur of the Matunga police station said, “We will support Bhandare’s family. It was an unfortunate incident and he died on duty. Bhandare died due to intense loss of blood and serious internal bleeding.”  

Go to top