Gas leak in Mathura, hundreds evacuated
Several people were evacuated from a factory in Uttar Pradesh today following leakage of ammonia gas.
Five people took ill and hundreds were evacuated today morning following leakage of ammonia gas from an ice manufacturing factory in Uttar Pradesh's Mathura district, police said.
The incident took place at around 8.30 am when a cylinder containing ammonia gas started leaking. As the gas spread, labourers started vomiting and fled from the factory.
Soon they developed rashes on their bodies and began fainting, following which panic-stricken residents of Gopalnagar, where the ice factory is located, also left their houses.
Police too asked them to leave their houses.
A sharp odour was emanating from the factory and spreading to nearby areas.
Fire tenders were rushed to the spot, district officials said.