Guilt-ridden friends' discussion solves 3-year mystery of missing boy

Published: 10 November, 2012 07:39 IST | Saurabh Vaktania |

Luv Tripathi had gone missing in 2009; last month, his 3 friends were overheard discussing that he was haunting their dreams; they later revealed that they had seen him climb onto roof of a train at Vasai station and get an electric shock

For three years, the Tripathi family has been struggling to come to terms with the mysterious disappearance of 17-year-old Luv Tripathi. On October 31, their questions were finally answered, when three of his friends confessed that they had witnessed him getting electrocuted at Vasai railway station, and abandoned him.

The matter came to light when Luv’s neighbours overheard his friends discussing that they were still struggling with their guilt, with one of them admitting that Luv was appearing in his dreams.

Revelation: While Shivraj (above) was telling his friends that Luv had been haunting his dreams, Luv’s brother Abhishek’s friend overheard their conversation

Luv, resident of Cavin Road in Bhayander (East) was reported missing three years ago. On November 8, 2009, he left his home around 7 pm to get biscuits for his pet dog, but never returned.

“He had left with only Rs 12 in his pockets. We approached the police and registered a missing complaint ,” said the victim’s mother Krishna.

After venturing out of his home that day, Luv met his friends, Shivraj Sharma, Rahul Mansatta and Sandeep Gaur, all residents of the same locality. The three were on their way to Vasai railway station. Luv joined them, without informing his parents.

They reached the station at 8 pm, and helped a relative board a train. Shivraj, Rahul and Sandeep stopped for a cold drink, while Luv climbed onto the roof of a bogey in a good’s train. He accidentally touched a broken overhead wire.

“He was stuck to the wire for almost ten seconds, and then thrown off a few metres away. Smoke was coming out of his body, as he lay on the ground. A crowd gathered on the platform and even policemen rushed to the spot,” said Shivraj, breaking his silence.

Afraid that they would fall into trouble, the three boys ran away. For years, the boys didn’t dare speak of the incident.

The truth emerged on October 31 this year, as the trio discussed the incident in private. While Shivraj was telling his friends that Luv had been haunting his dreams, Luv’s brother Abhishek’s friend overheard their conversation. He informed Luv’s family.

“We took them into confidence and finally managed to get the truth,” said Abhishek.

Closure at last
Based on the revelations made by the youths, Luv’s family members went to the Vasai GRP and asked to see records of deaths at the station in 2009.

While going through the records, they eventually came across a photograph of Luv’s body, and identified him with the help of his wristwatch.

Luv’s mother Krishna added, “In these three years there is not a single place where we haven’t looked for him. We had even asked all his friends, including the three who have been hiding the facts about his death. The policemen told us that Luv was fought for his life till 2.30 am the next day. If we were informed in time, we would have taken him to better hospital. We could have seen him.” 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK