Home Minister Amit Shah reviews preparedness for cyclone Vayu
Amit Shah directed senior officers to take every possible measure to ensure that people are safely evacuated and to ensure the maintenance of all essential services such as power, telecommunications, health, drinking water among others
Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday reviewed the preparedness of state and Central ministries and agencies to deal with the situation arising out of cyclone 'Vayu' which is likely to hit Gujarat on Thursday.
After reviewing the situation at a high level meeting, Shah directed senior officers to take every possible measure to ensure that people are safely evacuated and to ensure maintenance of all essential services such as power, telecommunications, health, drinking water among others and that these are restored immediately in the event of damages caused to them.
Union Home Minister #AmitShah on June 11 reviewed the preparedness of state and Central ministries and agencies to deal with the situation arising out of cyclone '#Vayu' which is likely to hit #Gujarat on June 13.#CycloneVayu— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) June 11, 2019
Photo: IANS pic.twitter.com/AaMzGQ4Byw
He also directed 24/7 functioning of control rooms, according to an official release.
"NDRF has pre-positioned 26 teams which are equipped with boats, tree-cutters, telecom equipment and is moving another 10 teams as requested by the Gujarat government. Indian Coast Guard, the Navy, Army and Air Force units have also been put on standby and surveillance aircraft and helicopters are carrying out aerial surveillance," the release said.
The meeting comes in the wake of the Indian Meteorological Department's (IMD) prediction that cyclone Vayu is likely to hit the Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva around Veraval and Diu region as a severe cyclonic storm with wind speeds of 110-120 kmh that may touch 135 kmh during the early morning of June 13.
The cyclone is likely to cause heavy rainfall in the coastal districts of Gujarat and storm surge of height of about 1-1.5 metres above the astronomical tides likely to inundate the low-lying coastal areas of Kutch, Devbhoomi Dwarka, Porbandar, Junagarh, Diu, Gir Somnath, Amreli and Bhavnagar districts at the time of landfall.
The meeting was attended by the Home Secretary, Secretary in Ministry of Earth Sciences, and senior officers of IMD and Ministry of Home Affairs.
The Cabinet Secretary has also convened a meeting of the National Crisis Management Committee on Tuesday evening to review the preparedness of the state and Central agencies.
The meeting will be attended by the Chief Secretary of Gujarat and Advisor to the Administrator of Diu among others.
The Home Ministry said it is in continuous touch with the Gujarat government, the Diu administration and the central agencies concerned.
Top stories of the day
- Mumbai receives cyclonic rain before monsoon hits around June 15
- Mumbai: Esplanade holds key to heritage tag for whole precinct
- Mumbai Crime: Auto driver threatens to sever traffic cop's head, arrested in Khar
- Mumbai: NEET topper's face in ads of 3 different classes raises hackles
- Mumbai: Two die after auto crushed between dumper, private bus on EEH
- Mumbai: Chaos alert as BMC shuts old bridges in Juhu and Oshiwara
- Politicians to plant 9,000 trees for the 3,000 hacked over Metro 4 work
- Dr Ram Puniyani: To label me anti-Hindu is a carefully constructed prism'
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Court proceedings in Dr Payal Tadvi's case to be recorded on video
- Mumbai Crime: IIT scholar who stalked woman for 5 years held in Bihar
- BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi: New zoo will help preserve Aarey better
- Sewri police arrest 'smart' thieves; discover plan to rob jewellery shops
- Mumbai: Two kids and five dogs electrocuted in first showers
- Nmami Agarwal: Celebrity nutritionist who has trained Manushi Chhillar
- Mumbai Rains: City welcomes first heavy showers of monsoon
- Masaba Gupta looks gorgeous in all-white ensemble
- Woman on flight opens emergency exit door mistaking it for toilet
- Tanuja on the road to recovery; Kajol shares a picture with mother
- Man stabbed to death by his friend over ludo game
- World Cup 2019: Anushka Sharma can't stop praising husband Virat Kohli's on-field gesture
- Yuvraj Singh receives a standing ovation from rumoured ex-girlfriend Kim Sharma on his retirement
- Yuvraj Singh: Cricket taught me to fight, fall, dust myself and get up
- World Cup 2019: ICC needs to take a serious look at the LED bails
- An era ends with Girish Karnad; last rites take place in Bengaluru
- Dino Morea and Shibani Dandekar spotted at an eatery in Bandra
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Closed skywalk in Bandra East leave commuters fuming!