Hope for raped 6-year-old Delhi minor

Apr 28, 2013, 05:35 IST | Agencies

Hope in the air as doctors declare the condition of the six-year-old girl found near a toilet on Friday, as stable. Meanwhile one of the accused in the gang rape of a five-year-old girl, who was found three days after she went missing on April 15, has been remanded to judicial custody

The six-year-old girl undergoing treatment at the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) after being allegedly raped had apparently resisted the assault, which may be the reason for her serious throat injuries, Jeetinder, her uncle, said yesterday.

A protestor holds a placard during a rally in Allahabad, against the rape of a five-year old girl in New Delhi. File pic

“When we found the girl, she had held herself steadfast with the toilet wall. She had her throat slit. It clearly appeared that she had resisted the assault,” said Jeetinder said.

A passer-by, who informed the police, had spotted the six-year-old minor lying in an unconscious state near a public toilet in Badarpur on Friday afternoon. The doctors are yet to confirmed whether the girl is a victim of rape. Around 22 people have been rounded up for questioning and the public toilet’s contractor has also been detained.

The girl was taken to a nearby medical store, from where she was shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre.

On Sartuday, the family of the victim held protest on the Mehrauli-Badarpur Road. They also blocked the traffic for about an hour and demanded immediate action from the administration.

In the case of the five-year-old rape victim who was saved two days after she went missing on April 15, a court has sent one of the accused in the brutal gang rape, to judicial custody till May 9.

Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Garg remanded Pradeep to judicial custody for 12 days after police said that he was not required for further interrogation.

The court, during the hearing asked the investigating officer what information had been gathered from the accused during his four-day police custody and which places he was taken to.

The cops told the court that the mobile phones of both Pradeep and prime accused Manoj Shah, has been recovered by the police and their stories cross checked to understand the real chain of events. Manoj is in police custody till April 30.

Police also moved an application for recording the statement of key witness in the case under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC). Abhishek is the key witness in the case in whose presence the victim was rescued from the locked room in the building in Gandhi Nagar area of east Delhi.

The court marked the application for recording of statement to the concerned chief metropolitan magistrate.

Pradeep, 19, was arrested on April 20 from Bihar’s Lakhisarai district where he was hiding at his maternal uncle’s house, while Manoj was nabbed from his in-laws’ house in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district.

NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan has moved the Supreme Court seeking initiation of contempt proceedings against the Delhi Police for disregarding apex court’s direction and not registering an FIR after the five-year-old girl who was brutally raped went missing and for failing to take prompt steps to trace her. The court is likely to hear the plea tomorrow. 

Go to top