Hospital ward turns into venue for family reunion

May 03, 2013, 06:49 IST | Vinod Kumar Menon

After a 3-month-long search, relatives find mentally challenged man in the surgical ward of BMC-run medical institute

The mood inside ward no 14 on the second floor of Rajawadi Hospital was celebratory yesterday. 30-year-old Tushar Bhoir, whom Vikhroli cops had found lying on the road and bleeding profusely from a wound on his head three months ago, was admitted here since then as an ‘unknown’. Sources say Tushar, who is mentally challenged, was prone to getting violent at times. His family, which had been frantically searching for him, was elated to finally find him at the hospital yesterday. Tears flowed and sweets were distributed.

Tushar Bhoir (in white) with his family. Pic/Pradeep Dhivar

Over the last few months, Tushar’s kin had fruitlessly lodged numerous complaints at various police stations in the Eastern suburbs, and were hoping for a miracle. Speaking to MiD DAY, hospital staffers revealed that on the night of January 30, cops from Vikhroli police station spotted an unidentified man lying in a pool of blood on the Eastern Express Highway, near Bhandup.

He was rushed to Rajawadi Hospital in an unconscious state and was left there. He was labelled as an ‘unknown’ patient. Tushar, according to his relatives, had left their Ghatla village residence in Chembur in the wee hours of January 28. He had been certified as mentally challenged by a panel of doctors attached to the psychiatry department of Grant Medical College and JJ Group of Hospitals in 2012. The family that runs a flower nursery in Chembur, searched for him all over, but in vain. His elder brother Milind (31) had registered a missing complaint at three-four police stations, including Govandi, Kurla and Chembur.

3 months ago
“My brother (Tushar) never left the house the way he did on the night of January 27. And he never returned. We had even advertised about him in a local cable channel and in a few Marathi newspapers,” said an emotional Jagruti Bhoir. Milind added, “I contacted some of the local hospitals, including Rajawadi, but could not get any information about Tushar. In despair, we even approached a few tantriks who misguided us, saying my brother was either in Panvel or Thane. Once the police contacted us to examine the body of an unidentified man, who had died in a train accident, at the Nair Hospital mortuary.”

Meanwhile, according to the hospital staff, the ‘unknown’ man regained senses almost a month later, but started behaving strangely. He would scream in the middle of the night and would scare the ward boys and nurses by yelling at them. “Though Tushar was a nuisance, he did not harm any fellow patient. He would get a sudden mood swing and go out of control,” a nurse recalled “We are grateful to the doctors, nurses and ward boys of Rajawadi Hospital for taking utmost care of my son. Now, I will never ever leave him alone,” said Tushar’s mother Vasanti.

On Wednesday, ambulance driver Mahesh - a neighbour of the Bhoirs - had brought an injured patient to the hospital. At this time he spotted Tushar stepping out of the institute. But, he was overpowered by hospital security, who brought him back to the surgical ward. In the evening, Mahesh narrated to Milind the spotting of his missing brother. “Tushar was inconsolable on meeting us. I informed our 50-year-old mother who was virtually starving for the last three months.” Late yesterday evening, Tushar was allowed to leave the hospital with his family members, and the local police were informed.

Speaking to MiD DAY, Professor of Surgery at DY Patil Medical College Ketan Vagholkar, said, “The patient was brought as an unknown, with history of frontal-head and abdominal injuries. Since the head injury was close to the brain, he was exhibiting intermediate spells of abnormal behaviour. This is a self-remitting condition and usually patients respond well to treatment.

He was unconscious for nearly a month, and when he regained senses, would call out to his sister and brother, and talked about home. The nature of the injury clearly indicates that he might have been hit by a speeding vehicle.” Dr Vagholkar added that the wound was likely sustained in a train accident. 

Related News

Go to top