Pune: Hours after giving birth, hospital heater leaves mother with burnt leg

Apr 30, 2016, 08:50 IST | Chaitraly Deshmukh

The 28-year-old software engineer suffered burn injuries when the nurse at a Pune hospital ignored her calls for help to turn down the temperature of the heater

Pune: This young couple trusted a renowned hospital for the delivery of their first baby, but their happiness was marred by pain and agony. On April 1, Shilpa Parihar-Gill (28) was admitted to Aditya Birla Memorial Hospital (ABMH) and the next day, she underwent a caesarean section and gave birth to a girl around 9 pm.

Shilpa Parihar-Gill with her baby. The burn injuries on her right leg can clearly be seen
Shilpa Parihar-Gill with her baby. The burn injuries on her right leg can clearly be seen

Shilpa, who works as a software engineer with an MNC, was feeling cold in the recovery room, where she was transferred after the surgery. She asked the nurse to turn on the heater. "She directed it to the lower part of my body, which had no sensation due to anaesthesia. When the upper part of my body heated up excessively, I was alarmed. When I called a nurse, it was then that I found out that my right leg had sustained severe burn injuries," recalled Shilpa, who is finding it difficult to take care of her newborn.

Shilpa, who stays with her husband in Pimple Saudagar, feels lucky that she was awake at the time of the incident. "I was given medication to help induce sleep. Had I slept, I would have suffered 100% burns on the right leg. Due to sheer negligence and carelessness of that nurse, I am not able to take proper care of my child," said a visibly angry Shilpa.

Shilpa's husband Jitendra Singh-Gill, also a techie, has submitted a written complaint to Rekha Dubey, CEO of ABMH, Pune, and attached photographs of the burnt leg with it. "We visited ABMH and met Dubey on April 11, after consulting a doctor for the burns. We asked her for compensation for the suffering we have had to endure due to the hospital's negligence. She promised to look into it," he said.

On April 16, they again visited the hospital and planned to meet Dubey. "She said she would meet us in some time, and told us to wait. We kept waiting for more than three hours with our newborn. We called her three times, but she didn't answer our calls. Finally, when we went to her cabin, we were told that she has left the hospital some time ago. We have not got any response from the hospital since then. We have now approached a lawyer and have also filed a petition in the consumer grievance redressal forum against the defaulters," said Jitendra.

The hospital staff refused to comment, saying they are not authorised to speak on any issue. "I would not like to comment on this issue. You can go ahead, mentioning the one-sided story. I do not wish to clear my view on this," said Dubey.

Go to top