HuJI e-mail sender traced, claims Chidambaram
Even though man suspected to have sent e-mail for the Delhi High Court blast is detained, Home Minister P Chidambaram says leads not 'conclusive'Even though man suspected to have sent e-mail for the Delhi High Court blast is detained, Home Minister P Chidambaram says leads not 'conclusive'
Home Minister Chidambaram yesterday said there were 'promising' but no conclusive leads in the Delhi High Court blast so far but investigators have taken into custody the person suspected to have sent the e-mail from Jammu and Kashmir owning responsibility for the terror attack. He did not elaborate on the arrest.
Home Minister P Chidambaram confirmed that authorities had received a third terror mail, but said it was written amateurishly. People condemning the blast. Pics/AFP
"There are promising leads but I cannot call them conclusive leads. They are being pursued round the clock," said Chidambaram about the progress of the probe into the bombing that killed 13 people and injured over 90 others.
About the third e-mail claiming responsibility for the blast, which surfaced yesterday, Chidambaram said it was written 'amateurishly' but was being taken seriously by investigators.
"Third e-mail arrived today (on Friday)," Chidambaram said, elaborating that it was written in a numerical code that was deciphered 'easily'.
"Number 1 reads as A, number 8 reads as H. It seems it is hinting at the next target," he said, adding that Ahmedabad in Gujarat may have been named as the next target.
The letter reads: "This is to inform you that we Indian Mujahideen claim the terror attack on (the) Delhi High Court."
The e-mail warns that the next attack "will be so cruel that you people won't be able to forget it for decay (decade)."
The e-mail sender identifies himself as Ali Saed el-Hoori and the message was sent from an ID firstname.lastname@example.org.
"We have sent revised advisories to states, including Gujarat," the minister said.
The earlier two e-mails were attributed to the Pakistan-based Harkat-ul-Jehadi Islami (HuJI) and the home grown terror group Indian Mujahideen which owned up to the bombing.
The HuJI e-mail was tracked to an internet cafe in Jammu and Kashmir's Kishtwar district.
It threatened to carry out more such attacks if the death penalty to 2001 parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was not immediately repealed.
Meanwhile, sleuths led by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) are pursuing scattered leads to crack the case but have not achieved any major breakthrough.
Chidambaram said the forensic experts were also corroborating their findings about the nature of the explosives used in the powerful bomb that exploded outside the Delhi High Court on a busy Wednesday.
The Home Minister also added the investigators were not in a position to say if the blast was the handiwork of Pakistan-based terrorists. "I cannot say if it's the Indian module or the module from across the border," the minister said.
The number of people who were injured in the Delhi blast
Afzal Guru distances himself
Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru yesterday called the Delhi High Court blast a "barbaric crime" and "cowardly act" that must be condemned by all.
He said no religion permits the killing of innocents and that he is "disturbed". Guru said in a statement,
circulated by his lawyer that his name was being dragged into the case to malign him.