'I want to break free from my controlling guy...'

May 08, 2014, 06:00 IST | Dear Diana

I want to break up with my boyfriend as he has become extremely annoying. He wants to take control of my life

Dear Diana,
I want to break up with my boyfriend as he has become extremely annoying. He wants to take control of my life. I'm not happy being with him and he makes me cry a lot. We have been dating for eight months. He tells me what to eat and what to do and where to go. I am feeling suffocated in the relationship.
— Hetal

Dear Hetal,
Your guy is a control freak and wants to have an upper hand in the relationship. He feels you have to be at his beck and call. This may be due to his own set of fears and insecurities. An insecure guy will try to make around feel insecure too, so that they can dominate them. You need to get away from this guy. There is bound to be trouble in the relationship because of his dominating nature. He cannot tell you what to do and what not — at every step of your life. Get going and find someone who will love you for what you are — and not for what he wants you to be.

Dear Diana,
I'm 27 and live with my parents. They want me to find a girl and get married, but they don't want me to live separately. They have left the choice of girl to me, but I feel whoever I marry will definitely want to live separately from my parents. I don't know how to please them as well as the girl. I am in a bit of a dilemma. How do I please my parents as well as my girl?
— Sameer

Dear Sameer,
There is no girl on the scene and you are assuming that she will behave in a particular way. You seem to be all muddled up in your mind and your apprehensions are unwanted. First find a girl — you should be happy that your parents are not interfering. Maybe the girl you find may not have problems living with your parents. Instead of thinking what is going to happen in the future, first get your present sorted out and stop worrying about the unknown.

Diana will solve it!
Write to Diana at diana@mid-day.com, or fax her on 24112009. You can also post letters to Dear Diana, Mid Day, Peninsula Centre, Dr S S Rao Road, opp Mahatma Gandhi Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400012

Go to top