Interesting trivia about Virat Kohli
As Virat Kohli turns 24 today, we look at some interesting and unknown facts about the Indian cricketer.
- Virat Kohli's nickname is 'Chikku'.
- He started his schooling at Vishal Bharti before shifting to Savier Convent.
- Virat Kohli first came into the limelight while playing for Delhi against Karnataka in a Ranji Trophy match on the day of his father's death. Choosing to stay and bat, he went on to score 90 runs.
- The Under-19 Indian cricket team won the 2008 U/19 Cricket World Cup under Virat Kohli's leadership.
- Virat Kohli was also instrumental in India's winning the 2009 Emerging Players Tournament in Australia. Kohli was the tournament's leading run scorer, compiling 398 runs from seven matches including two centuries and two fifties.
- Playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore, Virat Kohli was the 2nd highest run getter in IPL 2011 behind Chris Gayle.
- He is only one the third Indian to score two ODI centuries before his 22nd birthday. The other two are Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina.
- During the 2011 World Cup, Virat Kohli became the first Indian to score a century on World Cup debut. He made 282 runs in 9 innings at an average of 35.25.
- Between January 1, 2009 and September 1, 2011, Virat Kohli was India's second highest run-scorer in ODIs with 1,994 runs at an average of 47.47.
- In fifth match of Asia Cup 2012, he scored 183 off 148 balls against Pakistan, recording the joint-fourth highest score by an Indian in ODIs. His innings was also the highest individual innings for a batsman against Pakistan in a ODI surpassing previous record by Brian Lara (156).
- Since his ODI debut in 2008, he has scored 3886 from 90 matches at an average of 51.81, but even more impressively with a strike rate of 86.43. He has scored 13 hundreds and 21 fifties.
- Kohli was named ODI Cricketer of the year in 2012.
- He's the fastest Indian cricketer to reach 1000 runs in ODIs and also the fastest Indian cricketer to reach 3000 runs in ODIs.
- In 2012, Virat Kohli was named as one of the 10 best dressed international men in a list that included US President Barack Obama.
How Virat Kohli is training for the world cup!