International Day of Families 2019: Date, importance and theme
Major emphasis will be on Sustainable Development Goals which target improvement in education
International Day of Families is observed on May 15 every year. It highlights the importance of families as a basic unit of society. The United Nations General Assembly decided to celebrate the day in 1993. The theme for International Day of Families 2019 is "Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG13".
There are a number of activities like workshops, conferences, radio and television programmes, newspaper articles and cultural programmes highlighting relevant themes which take place on this day. In 2019, the focus is on families and family policies.
Major emphasis will be on Sustainable Development Goals which target improvement in education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning.
Twitterati celebrates the day and wished everyone.
#InternationalDayofFamilies is observed every year to celebrate the importance of #families in building a sustainable society. My heartiest wishes to you all on this special day! pic.twitter.com/BaQym62lMs— Ashok Gehlot (@ashokgehlot51) May 15, 2019
On International Day of Families, let us pledge to uphold Indian family value system which believes in the philosophy of respecting elders, teachers and in sharing and caring.#InternationalDayofFamilies#FamilyGoals #Family pic.twitter.com/iZFxyDvnwO— VicePresidentOfIndia (@VPSecretariat) May 15, 2019
Today is International Day of Families. We live in such times when family values have assumed great significance. I always say that Maa, Mati, Manush are my family. We are committed to the welfare of every member of the family - from a newborn baby to an elderly grandparent.— Mamata Banerjee (@MamataOfficial) May 15, 2019
The symbol of International Day of families comprises of a solid green circle with a red image in between and schematic drawing elements of a house and a heart. It attempts to signify that families are a centre part of any society and they offer a supporting and stable home for all age groups.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai police probe Aditya Pancholi for 'assault and exploitation'
- Sion Hospital rape: He threatened to strangle me to death, says victim
- Video of sickle brandishing 'dada' lands him in jail in Wakad
- Mumbai: Toy gun breaks off as caretaker tries to rob Malad businessmen
- Five years on, Mumbai University continues to use old, shabby library
- Mumbai recalls 'fine gentleman' Nazir Hoosein behind Liberty Cinema
- Carrom player accident: Dombivli residents want working traffic lights, dedicated cops
- Forced to leave Mumbai, Pandey now struggles as a tea-seller in Kashi
- New BMC chief Pravin Pardeshi brings engineers back from leave
- Mumbai: Charkop citizens protest BMC's tree 'trimming'
- Witness statements don't support Tanushree Dutta's sexual harassment story, says Mumbai cops
- Sleepless on SV Road: Mumbai Metro 2B din ruins nights of Santacruz residents
- Skymet: Below normal rainfall expected in monsoon, 15 per cent chance of drought
- Mumbai Crime: Nigerian duo arrested for stealing money from ATMs
- Body of unidentified woman found at Juhu Chowpatty
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Raj Thackeray can't believe election result!