ISRO Director K Sivan inaugurates Young Scientist Programme
"Every state and UT has been asked to select students from government as well as private schools." A total of 110 students are participating in the programme spread over two weeks this year
Sriharikota (Andhra Pradesh): Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Director K Sivan inaugurated the Young Scientist Programme (YUVIKA) here on Friday.
The programme is aimed at imparting basic knowledge of science and space technology to school-going students from different states and Union Territories (UT) of the country in order to arouse their interest in space related activities.
Speaking at the inaugural ceremony, Sivan said, "The programme will enthuse students from every nook and corner of the country and make them good scientists."
To the possibility of having a similar programme for engineering students, he said, "Right now we are focusing on school students of 9th-10th standards as they are at a stage of planning their careers. This programme will help them in planning their career."
Sivan added that the programme is aimed at hunting talent not only from big schools but also from schools in small hamlets across the country.
"Every state and UT has been asked to select students from government as well as private schools." A total of 110 students are participating in the programme spread over two weeks this year.
The participants will be attending a residential training programme at four ISRO centres - Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram; U R Rao Satellite Centre (URSC), Bengaluru; Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad, and North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC), Shillong.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- TV actor claims cops brutally thrashed him and minor brother all night
- Man creates fake 'sex chat' profiles after losing housing society poll
- Angry after his wedding is called off, man stabs aunt in Andheri, held
- Mumbai Crime: Private firm's housekeeper films co-worker changing, held
- Water supply: Down to 13 percent, Mumbai is running on reserve
- Mumbai Crime: Senior citizen thrashed for feeding strays in Andheri
- Tanushree Dutta's lawyer: Cops speaking to those who know nothing
- Forest department asked to probe snake rescuer's death in Sewri
- Denied permission to protest, those against reservation cry foul
- Dhule woman's death: State orders probe
- Borewells at Cross Maidan become latest Mumbai Metro victims
- Nishtha Dudeja: The Haryana girl who won Miss Deaf Asia 2018 crown
- Aarohi Pandit: Mumbai girl is world's first to cross Atlantic Ocean
- These photos of politicians working out will give you fitness goals!
- The king is dead, long live the mantri
- mid day editorial: A warning for those who fight for justice
- Internet legend Grumpy Cat passes away
- Grumpy Cat passes away: Twitter mourns death of internet's favourite cat
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
#MenToo: Woman who accused actor Karan Oberoi of rape arrested