'It's murder, not suicide'

Jun 02, 2012, 05:57 IST | Saurabh Vaktania

Alleges family of 23-yr-old man; after his married ex-lover failed in her efforts to renew their relationship, she forcibly made him consume poison, they say

Not satisfied with the arrest of a 25-year-old woman for abetting the suicide of his 23-year-old son, the father of the deceased has alleged murder, saying the accused forcibly made him consume poison when he refused to renew their affair.

The family of Prashant Gangurde, the deceased, says he was not the type to commit suicide, and that Renuka Mulya thrashed him following a heated argument and administered poison to him. For now, the Nirmal Nagar police have booked Mulya for abetment of suicide, but say they will take all allegations into consideration.

In 2007, Prashant was living with his parents in Kherwadi, Bandra (East), and Mulya lived with her husband and two children on the same Plot Number 151 as the Gangurde family. Prashant and Renuka got into a secret physical relationship, but in 2011 both their families came to know about it, leading to much unpleasantness between them.

The Gangurdes moved to Diva and soon started looking for a bride for him, but after a few months Mulya again contacted Prashant. Prashant’s father Balkrishna said, “We started looking for a bride for him. Prashant was very happy with the way things were going.” When Mulya started calling Prashant again and asked him to meet her, an upset Prashant told his parents. The calls did not stop, and the police said that on May 29 Mulya again called Prashant and asked him to meet her, threatening to make false allegations against him and put him behind bars if he failed to comply. Prashant’s father said Mulya’s threats pushed his son into depression.

“He had been happy for quite some time, but after that call he went into depression and on May 30 he went to her without informing us,” Balkrishna said. At Mulya’s home in Bandra, Prashant had a heated argument with her and, according to the police case so far, consumed poison.

He was taken to VN Desai hospital, where he was declared dead on admission. “Based on the family’s statement, we have filed a case against Renuka for abetment of suicide,” Senior Inspector Ramesh Khankale of the Nirmal Nagar police station said. “She was produced in court and remanded in police custody.” “My child can’t commit suicide. This woman (Mulya) has physically abused my son and killed him,” said Balkrishna. 

Go to top