It's official! Scolari back as Brazil coach
The wheel has turned a full circle for Luiz Felipe Scolari as the man who led Brazil to World Cup glory a decade ago returns to take over the five-times world champions.
Brazil on Thursday officially announced Luiz Felipe Scolari as their coach to lead them through to the 2014 World Cup finals on home soil, replacing Mano Menezes, sacked last week.
The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) named 2002 World Cup winner Scolari for a second spell at the helm as he targets a sixth world title with the auriverde in 18 months time, using next year's Confederations Cup, also in Brazil, as a springboard.
Carlos Alberto Parreira, who managed Brazil's successful 1994 World Cup campaign in the United States, will serve as Scolari's technical assistant as Brazil bid to shrug off two poor World Cup showings where they failed to make it past the quarter-finals.
"It's with great pleasure I return to involvement with the Brazilian team," beamed Scolari.
"I am happy to work with people who have confidence in me and happy to have at my side someone to share in this task - that is, Parreira.
"The World Cup project is starting off strongly," said 'Felipao'.
"The objective is clear - to win the World Cup in 2014," added Scolari, who insisted that "I don't feel under pressure."
In 26 games under his previous stewardship Brazil won 19 and lost six - including an initial 2002 qualifier against Uruguay and a post World Cup friendly against Paraguay.
"Our sole commitment is to seek out and offer the best for our football and it is in this vein that we have chosen these two great champions, respected not just in our country but worldwide," CBF president Jose Maria Marin told a news conference.
Marin had coyly avoided naming Scolari on Wednesday even as the media plastered the image of the 64-year-old all over newspaper front pages, while saying the CBF wanted "someone who can face up to the pressure of the post."
That pressure -- and inveterate impatience at the CBF and among fans -- ensured Menezes was a dead man walking after Brazil lost the chance to end their Olympic gold medal duck in losing the London Games final to Mexico.
Scolari was out of work after parting company with Palmeiras last September -- the team were later relegated.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter welcomed the appointment.
"I am very happy with the decision taken by the CBF. This is a must (the unveiling of a successor to Menezes) as Brazil is preparing not only the World Cup but the Confederations Cup."
Former star Ronaldo, whose goals landed the 2002 World Cup title, added: "Congratulations to him. It's a great challenge for him."
The decision to bring him back has sparked differing responses from ex-stars, including Zico and Carlos Alberto.
Zico, favoured the move, noting before the official announcement: "Felipao (Scolari) has won so many titles he has to be respected."
Former skipper Carlos Alberto, who lifted the 1970 World Cup after starring in the Pele-inspired 4-1 thrashing of Italy, struck a note of discord, however.
"I don't know that this is Felipao's moment. He won in 2002 -- but that was 2002! This year he bombed out at Palmeiras."
The CBF sacked Menezes last week after just two years in the job, with the Selecao having lost in the quarter-finals of last year's Copa America before the Olympic disappointment.
In his first stint as Brazil manager, Scolari was forgiven for a pale Confederations Cup showing in 2001 after he led the Selecao to the World Cup win in Japan the following year.
He later coached Portugal and led them to the final of Euro 2004 on home soil before a disastrous spell with Chelsea in 2008.
Despite former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola being linked with the job, Marin said he wanted a Brazilian.
"We won five (world) titles with them. That's why it would be very difficult to call in a foreigner," A Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper quoted Marin as saying on Tuesday.
Parreira insisted earlier in the week that everyone should get behind Scolari, telling Brazilian media: "It's time to put other problems aside and focus on winning the World Cup."
Those "other problems" include in-fighting at the CBF, where Marin and former selections chief Andres Sanchez were in open conflict after the latter said the organisation was wrong to sack Menezes.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Dhanraj Pillay relives Indian Hockey's dream run of 1998!