J Dey trial: Nobody came forward to give statement, says cop

Aug 12, 2015, 07:13 IST | Sailee Dhayalkar

The inspector, who was one of the first cops to reach the spot, and is the second witness in the case, continued his testimony in the Special MCOCA court yesterday; he was cross-examined by the defence counsel

The deposition of policemen continued yesterday in the murder case of mid-day’s Editor (Investigations) J Dey, who was shot dead in broad daylight in Powai on June 11, 2011, when he was heading home on his motorbike, allegedly by Chhota Rajan’s henchmen.

A constable had deposed before the Special MCOCA court at the Arthur Road jail on July 22 and an inspector, who was attached to the Powai police station at the time, had begun his deposition, which continued yesterday.

J Dey trial: Cops saw bullet marks on slain journalist's body

The inspector, who is the second witness to testify in the case, told the court yesterday that he was at the scene of the crime for 10 minutes, but nobody came forward to give a statement regarding the offence.

The witness, who was cross-examined by Defence Advocate Santosh Deshpande, said, “I had reached Hiranandani Garden after receiving information and I saw the crowd there as well as the vehicle of the deceased.

In the 10 minutes that we were on the spot, a police sub-inspector and I were collecting information. A security guard of Hiranandani and two beat marshals were also present at the spot. I got an idea of it being a cognisable offence when I enquired about it on the spot.

I did not take the statement of anyone on the spot because nobody came forward to give a firm statement regarding the incident in those 10 minutes that they have seen the crime. I had seen the injury on the body of the deceased before the FIR was registered.”

The police inspector, who during the examination by the Special Public Prosecutor had identified the helmet of J Dey saying that it was white in colour, was asked by Deshpande whether he can distinguish between white, silver and red colours, to which he replied in the positive.

Deshpande then pointed to the helmet, which seemed to be silver in colour, and asked the inspector to confirm that he was not deliberately calling it white, to which the latter replied in the negative.

During his cross-examination by another defence advocate, Avinash Rasal, the inspector said, “I did attempt to ask people at the spot whether they had seen anything regarding the offence. I came to know about the death of the injured person at the hospital.”

The inspector also told court that he was the complainant in the case. The inspector was attached to the Powai police station from 2009 to 2012.

Previous testimony
During his examination by Special Public prosecutor Raja Thakre on July 22, the inspector had said, “I was the police inspector on June 11, 2011. The constable came to me and told me about the firing at D Mart circle, Hiranandani. After 15 minutes, I reached the spot and saw that a crowd had gathered near the Crisil building.

We got down and a beat marshal, who had reached before us, informed me that the motorcycle was on the footpath and the helmet was kept on the seat. “I came to know that the assailants were four people on two motorcycles and one of the pillion riders had fired. I also came to know that the injured had been taken to Hiranandani Hospital.

Mumbai: Bookie who pointed out J Dey to shooters dies 

I saw one lead (bullet casing) at the spot and asked one of the beat marshals to protect it. Thereafter, I went to Hiranandani Hospital and enquired about the injured. The doctor informed me that the injured person was brought dead. I went near the dead body and asked the ward boy to check his pockets to know the identity of the person.

He had a driving licence which said he is Jyotirmoy Dey. I saw bullet marks on his body as well and came to know he was murdered.” The police inspector had also identified the licence, and helmet of J Dey as well as his motorcycle, which was kept outside the court.

Hearing today
All 10 arrested accused Anil Waghmode, Abhijeet Shinde, Arun Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh Agawane, Satish Kalya, Deepak Sisodia, Paulson Joseph and Jigna Vora — were present before the court. Vinod Asrani, the 11th accused in the case, had died of liver cirrhosis in April. The next hearing in the case is scheduled for today.

Go to top