Kashmir Valley continues to burn

Apr 14, 2016, 08:25 IST | Agencies

Third victim succumbs to injuries at a local hospital; army releases video of girl denying harassment

Srinagar: A woman, who was injured after security forces opened fire in Handwara town of north Kashmir to quell a stone-pelting mob on Tuesday, succumbed to her injuries at a local hospital yesterday, thus taking the death toll in the incident to three.

Villagers carry Begum's body during the funeral procession in Langate. Pic/PTI
Villagers carry Begum's body during the funeral procession in Langate. Pic/PTI

Raja Begum (55) of Langate breathed her last at SKIMS Hospital in the wee hours yesterday, a police official said. He added that four others injured were undergoing treatment at various hospitals. The two youths killed in the firing on Tuesday were identified as Iqbal Ahmad and Nayeem Bhat.

Meanwhile, the Army released a video of a girl denying molestation by soldiers. The girl, in the video, claims that she had gone to a nearby washroom along with her friend when suddenly an unidentified youth snatched her bag. While he resisted her to come to a nearby police station, another youth started shouting slogans and instigated violence.

ASI suspended
A junior police officer was suspended yesterday for ‘mishandling’ the law and order situation in Handwara. “Assistant Sub-Inspector Mohammad Rafiq has been suspended pending inquiries into Tuesday’s incident,” a senior official said. He said a magisterial probe and a departmental inquiry are being conducted into the incident.

Restrictions imposed
Authorities yesterday imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar and Kupwara to thwart protests against the killing of three persons in Handwara. An officier said restrictions were imposed in Rainawari, Maharajgunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Safakadal and Maisuma.

Another youth killed
A youth was killed yesterday after being hit by a teargas shell fired by security forces during protests in Kupwara against the killing of three persons in Handwara.

Jehangir Ahmad Wani was hit by a tear smoke shell in the head during protests at Drugmulla, 95 kms from here, a police official said. He said the youth was taken to a hospital, where doctors declared him dead on arrival. Drugmulla residents were protesting against the killing of three persons — two youths and a woman — in firing by the Army on Tuesday.  

Go to top