KCR to invite Jagan Mohan Reddy for irrigation project opening
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, will visit Vijayawada shortly to invite Jagan Reddy to the event, according to the Chief Minister's Office (CMO)
Hyderabad: In another gesture aimed at promoting friendly relations between the two Telugu states, Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao on Wednesday decided to invite his Andhra Pradesh counterpart Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy as the chief guest for the inauguration of the Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project on June 21.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, will visit Vijayawada shortly to invite Jagan Reddy to the event, according to the Chief Minister's Office (CMO).
Built on the Godavari river, the project is expected to change the face of Telangana.
The foundation stone for the project was laid in 2016 and the YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) chief Jagan Reddy as the then leader of opposition in Andhra Pradesh had opposed it and accused Telangana of diverting Godavari waters. He had also accused then Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu of failure to protect the state's interests.
In another gesture aimed at promoting friendly relations between two #Telugu states, #Telangana CM #ChandrashekharRao decided to invite his #AndhraPradesh counterpart #JaganMohanReddy as the chief guest for the inauguration of #Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project on June 21. pic.twitter.com/N8MI5NHD9f— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) June 12, 2019
However, after Jagan Reddy led YSRCP to power in Andhra Pradesh, the two Chief Ministers took the initiative to forge friendly relations. KCR had visited Vijayawada to attend Jagan Reddy's swearing-in on May 30 and underlined the need for both the states to work together for the mutual benefit of the people.
KCR had said on Telangana Formation Day on June 2 that Kaleshwaram will create history as the largest lift irrigation project built in the fastest mode. "Constructing such a large project in such a short period of two-and-a-half years is proof to government's efficiency and technological excellence," he had said.
The government is making preparations to lift 2 tmc (thousand million cubic feet) of Godavari water per day from the Medigadda barrage beginning July end.
The project would supply sufficient irrigated water to grow two crops a year in 45 lakh acres of land in 16 districts.
KCR announced that the irrigation department was prepared to demonstrate the engineering excellence of lifting water from 90 metre above sea-level to 618 metre.
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Water activist Amla Ruia speaks to mid-day