3 killed in accidents in Navi Mumbai

Apr 29, 2012, 05:53 IST | Vikram Gokral, Afrin Shaikh & Saurabh Katkurwar

The incidents took place within a span of 24 hours at Belapur pass, the Mumbai-Goa highway and on the Belapur flyover

Three accidents within 24 hours claimed three lives in Navi Mumbai. On Saturday afternoon, one man was killed and two were injured in an accident wherein four vehicles were severely damaged in Belapur. The deceased, Paul Mathew, 35, was a resident of Sion Koliwada, and was seated in a taxi when a Xylo hit the taxi near Belapur pass notorious for fatal accidents.

According to the CBD Belapur police, Vinod Rane, 21, who was driving the Xylo, lost his control over the vehicle and hit the taxi, which then came under the wheels of a passing truck. Mathew died on the spot. The police have registered a case against Rane under Sections 279, 304A, 337, 427 of the IPC. Injured Jaiprakash Pande, who was with Mathew in the cab, and Aakash Mhatre are admitted in MGM hospital in Belapur.

In another incident, tragedy struck a family of nine after their Qualis was hit by a speeding private passenger bus coming from the opposite side at around 2.45 am near Panvel on the Mumbai-Goa Highway. Radhika Dhanawade, 70, and her grand-daughter-in-law Rupali Dhanawade, 32, succumbed to their injuries. The family was travelling to their native place at Ratnagiri from Mumbai. Two children sustained minor injuries and five other members suffered severe injuries. The injured were rushed to Lifeline Hospital in Panvel and were later transferred to KEM hospital.

In the third incident, the Xylo car belonging to the Shivdas family, who were heading to Airoli from their residence at Satara, dashed into the side-wall of the Belapur flyover while driving on the eastern side of the Sion -Panvel highway. Two out of the four members of car, including the driver, are in the ICU at the MGM hospital, Belapur. One member is in the general ward. Vijay Shivdas, his wife Chhaya, 55, his younger son Rupesh, 26, and the driver Mahadev Shivaji Khule, 32, were in the car.

Dr Manish Radake, the hospital in-charge of the ICU ward at the MGM hospital said, “The victims were brought to the hospital around 4.30 am. Rupesh Shivdas is critical. He has suffered a spinal cord injury and his lower and upper limbs have been paralysed. Chhaya Shivdas has suffered facial bone fracture below the right eye. The driver Mahadev is stable as he suffered no serious injury.” A case has been registered at the CBD Belapur Police Station. “Investigations will start after we speak to the driver, who is currently in the ICU ward,” said an official, on condition of anonymity.  

Go to top