Liverpool dump Man United out of FA Cup

Jan 29, 2012, 07:42 IST | AFP

Holland ace Kuyt's late winner helps Liverpool beat Man Utd 2-1 in FA Cup Round 4 clash

Holland ace Kuyt's late winner helps Liverpool beat Man Utd 2-1 in FA Cup Round 4 clash

Dirk Kuyt came off the bench to fire a dramatic late winner as Liverpool sent Manchester United crashing out of the FA Cup with a 2-1 victory in the fourth round at Anfield on Saturday. Kenny Dalglish's side took the lead when Daniel Agger punished poor goalkeeping by David de Gea to head home in the first half.

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt scores the winning goal during Saturday's FA Cup
Rd 4 match against Manchester United at Anfield. Pic/AFP

South Korean midfielder Park Ji-Sung equalised for United before half-time, but Dutch international Kuyt had the last word in the first meeting between the two sides since Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was hit with an eight-game ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra in a league game on October 15.

Kuyt's 88th minute goal came after sloppy defending from Evra, who was booed every time he touched the ball, and allowed the Reds -- who reached the League Cup final in midweek -- to avenge last season's FA Cup third round exit at Old Trafford.

Chelsea beat QPR 1-0
In the other early kick-off, Chelsea meanwhile booked their place in Sunday's fifth round draw after a disputed penalty settled another match which failed to live up to its potentially explosive billing at Loftus Road.

The game was the first meeting of the two sides since the stormy clash in October which led to Chelsea captain John Terry being accused of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand. Rangers defender Ferdinand was spared the awkward dilemma of whether or not to shake Terry's hand in the pre-match build-up after the FA ruled there would be no handshake shortly before kick-off.

A disappointing fourth round tie was settled on 62 minutes when Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata sent Paddy Kenny the wrong way from the penalty spot. However Rangers were seething at referee Mike Dean's decision to award a penalty, the official ruling that Clint Hill had fouled Daniel Sturridge as the two players came together in the box.

Television replays later suggested Hill had made only the slightest contact with Sturridge, but Dean remained unmoved by QPR protests and Mata stepped up to coolly stroke home the winner.

Go to top