Maharashtra government withdraws cases in Bhima Koregaon violence, Maratha reservation agitation

Published: Feb 27, 2020, 17:45 IST | ANI | Mumbai

Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said that the process to withdraw other cases in the Bhima Koregaon violence, Maratha reservation agitation are underway

Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh. Picture/Twitter Anil Deshmukh
Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh. Picture/Twitter Anil Deshmukh

The Maharashtra government has withdrawn 348 cases registered in the Bhima Koregaon violence and 460 cases filed in the Maratha reservation agitation, state Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said on Thursday.

"We have withdrawn 348 of the 649 cases registered related to Bhima Koregaon and 460 of the 548 cases registered in connection with Maratha reservation agitation," Deshmukh told reporters here.

He also said that the process to withdraw other cases in these matters was underway.

The Central government had last month transferred the probe into the Bhima Koregaon violence to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), a move which was criticised by the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government.

On January 1, 2018, violence had erupted during the 200th-anniversary celebrations of the Bhima-Koregaon battle. One person was killed and several others were injured in the incident.

Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates

 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

Subscribe
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK