Makeshift medical centres on procession routes save the day

Oct 01, 2012, 07:29 IST | Anup Satphale

Over 15 makeshift medical emergency centres erected by Vighnaharta Nyas in a joint initiative with the traffic police and Rotary Club came in handy for as many as 500 revellers who flocked to see the immersion procession.

According to doctors associated with Vighnaharta Nyas and Rotary Club, the wooden barricades, iron bars and other obstacle left some people with injuries. 

Deed for the day: A volunteer carries a boy, who had fainted during the immersion procession, to a nearby emergency medical centre. Pic/Krunal Gosavi

At least three were shifted to hospital and some had fainted due to dehydration. The 15 health centres saw an inflow of several cases of leg injuries.

“Around four to five people suffered head injuries and were brought to centres at Appa Balwant chowk. Objects like bamboo and metal rods used to build pandals and barricades were the cause of these injuries. Most of these individuals required sutures,” said Dr Sachin Paprikar at the medical centre near Nutan Marathi Vidyalay at Appa Balwant chowk.

Dr Nitin Bora, coordinator from Vighnharta Nyas, said, “Many cases of dehydration were reported and around 200 were treated at all centres. These people were given oral re-hydration solution. Some 50 to 60 cases of suffocation and vomiting were also treated at the centre.”

Kunal Kamthe of Vighnharta Nyas said, “We came across a low BP case of a 70 year old woman and immediately transferred her to private hospital near Alka Talkies. Also, two cases of major leg injury involving severely damaged toes were also treated. Minor injuries sustained as a result of blows from drumsticks were also treated at all the centres. Two cases of leg fracture were also reported, resulting from falling off barricades.”  

One dies of electrocution
High-tension wires resting on a house in Bhavanipeth claimed the life of one person yesterday. The area was crowded because of the immersion procession and a man came in contact with a tin sheet and was electrocuted. Ramesh Gangad, assistant divisional officer said, “A high-tension wire was resting on the shed and an unidentified person came in contact with it and died. He was rushed to Sassoon Hospital, but was declared dead on arrival.” 

Go to top