Man, accused of chain snatching, motorbike thefts, held
The accused identified as Ramesh Hari Singh (21), resident of Borivili, was arrested on Monday by the police
Thane: The city police has arrested a man from Kasarwadavali area for alleged involvement in cases of motorbike thefts and chain snatching. The accused identified as Ramesh Hari Singh (21), resident of Borivili, was arrested on Monday by the police. Ramesh Hari Singh's accomplice was arrested earlier but the accused gave them the slip, said senior inspector Kishore Khairnar.
A police patrolling team spotted two men on the night of May 14, 2019, moving around in a suspicious manner in Vijay Nagri locality. When the police accosted them, Ramesh Hari Sing fled while the other, Gafirld Anthony Menezes (44), was arrested. Menezes, a resident of Mira Road, allegedly revealed during interrogation that he and Singh were involved in several cases of chain snatching and motorbike theft. His questioning led to Singh's arrest on Monday.
Two cases of theft of two-wheelers -- one from Navghar in Mulund and another from Kasarwadavali -- and as many cases of chain snatching registered with Kasarwadavali police station have been detected with the arrest of the duo, the inspector added.
Recent chain snatching cases
The Government Railway Police (GRP) has arrested two alleged chain snatchers and seized gold ornaments worth Rs 12.92 lakh. Of the two, Mohammad Saif had come to Mumbai to become an actor, but turned into a criminal after failing to get a foothold in the film industry. The GRP, which had received complaints of 16 chain-snatching incidents, were working on the cases for the past two months, said DCP, Central Railways, M M Makandar. They were able to zero in on Saif on Sunday and arrested him from Dharavi.
A 30-year-old man has been arrested for a series of chain-snatchings in local trains. He told cops he needed the money to splurge on his gay partners. The police said the accused used to dress up like a corporate employee and steal gold chains of fellow commuters. Andheri RPF officers said, on December 19, while on crime prevention duty, constables Anirudh Giri, Ankit Kumar and Anil Naikwade spotted him around 7.30 pm at platform number 3 acting in a suspicious manner. They remembered seeing him in CCTV footage of November 29 while snatching the chain of a commuter.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- Smita Thackeray, Maanayata Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan at an event in Andheri
- Remembering Rajiv Gandhi: Rare pictures of former Prime Minister of India
- British Royal kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis play in the woods
- These photos of Amruta Fadnavis enjoying the rains are romantic as ever!
- Popular Mumbai salons that Bollywood's top actresses visit
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
- British Royal kids George, Charlotte and Louis play in the woods
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Closed skywalk in Bandra East leave commuters fuming!