Man does a Mike Tyson, bites off friend's ears

Oct 08, 2013, 08:08 IST | Vinay Dalvi

A drunken argument turned ugly for a Kalyan resident who was bitten more than 25 times by his friend; the man almost lost his ears in the fight

A casual weekend evening with drinks, and friends to keep you company is the best way to relax. But for Kalyan resident Sushil Jadhav, it ended in the hospital, having almost lost his ears, and with bite marks all over his body.

Victim: Sushil Jadhav

Two friends, Ketan Pujari and Rakesh Chaudhuri alias Pathan, were sitting at the Tisgaon Gymkhana in Kalyan (east) on Sunday evening. As it happens usually in drinking sessions, an argument broke out between the two. Jadhav reached the spot after Pujari called him to intervene in the matter.

“Pathan jumped onto Jadhav when he went there to solve the matter, and started beating him,” said a police official from the Kolsewadi police station. He then caught hold of Jadhav’s head and bit him on his nose, face, ears and various other parts of the body. He was bitten more than 25 times, the police said. The bites were so strong that Jadhav’s ears almost came off.

“Jadhav was left bleeding profusely and his ears were dangling from his head. The fight stopped only when Pujari interfered. The victim was immediately rushed to Sadguru hospital in Kalyan,” said Machindra Chavan, senior police inspector of Kolsewadi police station.

Doctors at the hospital have advised the victim to undergo plastic surgery. Meanwhile, Pathan approached the police and registered a complaint saying that Jadhav had also beaten him. He then got himself admitted into a private hospital.

“We will arrest Pathan as soon as he is discharged from the hospital. We have booked him under Section 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous means or weapons),” said Chavan.

All the three men work at private firms in Kalyan and Thane, doing small jobs. 

The infamous Tyson incident
On June 28, 1997, Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield fought in Las Vegas in one of the most anticipated rematches in heavyweight boxing history.

40 seconds into the third round, Tyson bit a one-inch piece of cartilage off of Holyfield's left ear then spit it onto the mat. The fight continued after a few minutes, and the referee told Tyson if he did it again, he'd be disqualified. Tyson attempted another bite, this time on Holyfield's left ear, and the fight was stopped.

Tyson received a permanent suspension from boxing and had his boxing license cancelled forever, on top of a $3 million fine, before appealing and being allowed to fight a year later.

Go to top