Man robs mom-daughter of Rs 1 lakh on pretext of Mumbai darshan

Dec 31, 2013, 11:15 IST | Saurabh Vaktania

He met the duo when they had come down from Pune for admissions to a city medical college in October; during the tour, he allegedly spiked their cold drinks and robbed them of cash and valuables

A mother-daughter duo had a terrible first visit to the city, when a 34-year-old man robbed them of their cash and valuables, after he spiked their soft drinks when they toured around Mumbai with him. On October 24, Dr Kamal Sandesh Chamaliya had come to Mumbai to attend the admissions process for a local medical college for her daughter.

Manoj Kumar Gupta had told the lady that he too was trying to get a seat for his cousin in the same college

After completing the formalities, she was on her way back to her hometown Pune, when she met Manoj Kumar Gupta, the accused, at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST). Gupta struck up a conversation and told Dr Chamaliya that he too had come down from Surat to get his cousin admitted to the same college. The two exchanged numbers. Two days later, on October 26, Dr Chamaliya and her daughter Mayuri visited Mumbai to find out why the girl’s name was missing from the college merit list. The accused came across them at Dadar railway station and accompanied them to the college.

He later offered to show them around Mumbai and the trio went to popular tourist spots in the city Gateway of India, Haji Ali etc. On reaching Bandstand, Gupta bought the mom and daughter soft drinks, which he allegedly spiked. Both the women fell unconscious, and Gupta decamped with their cash, jewellery and mobile phones, all worth a total of Rs 1 lakh. The accused is also physically challenged in his leg.

The Bandra police found the duo unconscious on the road and registered a case on the same day. “On the basis of their complaints, we registered a case. We tracked the number which Gupta had given to the women and came to know that the number was active in Bangalore,” said Assistant Police Inspector Nandkumar Gaikwad from Bandra police station.

When police sent a team to nab him, the man managed to escape to his native place in Patna. “However, we kept a watch on his Bangalore residence and finally caught him on Saturday night,” added Gaikwad. Gupta was brought to Mumbai and was produced in court yesterday. He was remanded to police custody, but the valuables are yet to be recovered.

Related News

Go to top