Mass sexual assault on New Year's Eve shocks Germany

Updated: Jan 06, 2016, 09:49 IST | Agencies

Mayor of Cologne, where the incident took place, called emergency meeting

Berlin: Police are investigating reports of a group of 1,000 men carrying out a mass sexual assault on dozens of women in the middle of a German city on New Year’s Eve.

German police has received numerous complaints from women, who said they were groped and attacked in the Cologne city centre.

Mayor Henriette Reker called a meeting yesterday to discuss the police response to the attacks, which occurred at night near the main train station, next to the cathedral. At least 60 criminal complaints have been filed, including one allegation of rape.

The Cologne police chief says witnesses described the assaults as coming from a group of up to 1,000 men whose appearance indicated they were of “Arab or North African origin.” The police also said many of the men had been known to them for some time and were not newly-arrived refugees.

80
The number of people who fell victim to the assaults, 35 of whom were sexually assaulted

Worst Crime: Man begs for rice, sexually assaults 16-year-old boy

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK