Mentally challenged girl electrocuted in Rajasthan

Jul 20, 2012, 08:57 IST | IANS

A 20-year-old mentally challenged girl was electrocuted when she came in contact with a faulty air cooler at the government-run rehabilitation center here Thursday, police said.

The centre is run by the Rajasthan government's woman and child welfare department.

"Anita Kumari, had been living in the center for the past 16 years. She had been shifted to Jaipur from a rehabilitation center in Kota in 1995," said a police officer.

"She was sleeping in her room. She got up to get water and came in contact with the air cooler in the building's gallery. She died on the spot," the officer said.

The officer said that the centre's authorities informed police almost an hour after the incident.

"During investigation, it has come up that the air cooler had some technical snag for the past few days. However, nothing was done by the centre authorities to get it repaired, resulting in the tragedy," said the officer.

Go to top