Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi: No Haj subsidy from this year

Updated: Jan 17, 2018, 11:56 IST | Agencies

The minority affairs minister says the move is part of the government's efforts to 'empower minorities' without appeasement

The decision is in line with a 2012 Supreme Court order, asking the government to do away with the subsidy for the pilgrimage. Representation pic
The decision is in line with a 2012 Supreme Court order, asking the government to do away with the subsidy for the pilgrimage. Representation pic

There will be no subsidy for Haj from this year, minority affairs minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi announced yesterday and said the move was part of the government's efforts to "empower minorities" without appeasement. A record number of 1.75 lakh Muslims will undertake the pilgrimage this year from India, Naqvi told reporters here. "There will be no subsidy on Haj now," he said. The government had spent over Rs 250 crore last year on subsidising the annual pilgrimage of Muslims to Saudi Arabia, he said.

The decision is in line with a 2012 Supreme Court order, asking the government to do away with the subsidy, which had long been sought by the BJP. The BJP had cited the subsidy as an example of "Muslim appeasement" by parties such as the Congress. Following the order, the subsidy was being gradually reduced every year.

"It is part of the Modi government's efforts to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement," Naqvi said. Asked if the subsidy withdrawal will make the cost of the pilgrimage too high for many Muslims, Naqvi said the government was making efforts to bring it down. The Saudi Arabian government has agreed to allow Indians to go on Haj by the sea route and officials of the two countries will work out the modalities, he said.

Haj pilgrims from certain regions will have an additional option to choose from where they want to fly to Saudi Arabia for the annual pilgrimage, he said and claimed that this would bring down the cost by up to 70 per cent on some routes. The minister said, in a first, over 1,300 women would go on Haj without a 'mehram' (male guardian), a practise done away with from this year.

Naqvi said his ministry is organising an event in Lucknow on January 18 in which he and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath will speak on "empowering minorities without appeasement". Minority affairs ministers of nine states will attend the event.

'250 cr
What the govt spent on subsidising the pilgrimage of Muslims in 2017

1.75 lakh
Number of Muslims from India who will go on the pilgrimage this year

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai, National and International news here

Download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Trending Video

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

Subscribe

#MenToo: Woman who accused actor Karan Oberoi of rape arrested

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK