Mumbai: Girl jumps off platform roof in Ghatkopar station, gets crushed

Oct 19, 2016, 16:30 IST | Santosh Wagh

The 20-year-old was returning to Mumbra with her father, when suddenly she started to climb on the roof of a Ghatkopar platform and jumped in front of an oncoming train

This 20-year-old girl was about to catch a train to Mumbra from Ghatkopar with her father, when suddenly she underwent a change of mind, climbed on the platform roof and jumped before an oncoming Thane-bound train that eventually crushed her. The incident took place on Monday evening when the deceased, Ayesha Chand Sayyed was returning with her 45-year-old father, who claims that the girl was mentally unstable.

A cops shows the spot from where Ayesha jumped on to the tracks. Pics/Rajesh Gupta
A cops shows the spot from where Ayesha jumped on to the tracks. Pics/Rajesh Gupta

Chand Basha Sayyed, Ayesha’s father had initially claimed that they went to a relative’s place but later changed it saying that he had taken his daughter to a mall in Andheri. He further said that his daughter got separated when they were climbing down the stairs of the foot over bridge to reach platform number one of Ghatkopar station.

‘She just jumped’
“She suddenly climbed the roof, which created chaos. On hearing that, Chand turned back and saw that his daughter was already walking on the roof. Before he could save her, she took the plunge and was crushed under the local train,” said an officer from Kurla GRP.

Ayesha lost one of her legs in the incident and there were severe head injuries. Chand along with few railway labourers rushed her to Sion Hospital. On Tuesday morning, she succumbed to her injuries.

The father who is an electrician by profession had said that on Monday afternoon, he and Ayesha got off at Ghatkopar station and took a metro to reach Andheri, from where they visited the mall. By 7 pm, Chand and his daughter returned via the same route and reached Ghatkopar station to board a train for Mumbra when the incident happened.

The Kurla GRP officials have registered an Accidental Death Report in the matter and are investigating the case further.

Cop says
“The father claimed that Ayesha was mentally unstable since the last four years. We are probing that angle too,” said Ashok Bhorde, senior inspector, Kurla GRP, adding that the body has been handed over to Chand after autopsy and that they are going to talk to her family as well.

Go to top