Mumbai: 2 BMC staffers electrocuted while repairing water pipeline in Kurla
Out of seven labourers, Ganesh Ugale, 45, and Amol Kale, 40, were declared dead at Rajawadi Hospital. The other five were treated and discharged
Two labourers of BMC's Water Department were electrocuted while repairing a water pipeline in Kurla, while another five were injured. The incident occurred around 8 am on Monday.
According to BMC's Disaster Control, a few workers were deployed for repair work on the pipeline at Suman Nagar, in Kurla East as there was a complaint about water leakage.
"The workers had stepped in the manhole for the repair work when the incident happened. Maybe, electricity passed through the water. The exact reason is unknown," said Anil Patankar, a local corporator.
Rahul Shewale, MP of the area, said, "The incident occurred due to negligence while handling a submersible water pump. I have demanded an inquiry and compensation for kin of the deceased."
"Out of seven labourers, Ganesh Ugale, 45, and Amol Kale, 40, were declared dead at Rajawadi Hospital. The other five were treated and discharged," said an assistant medical officer of the hospital.
P Velarasu, additional commissioner, BMC, told mid-day, "We have asked the Hydraulic Department to submit a report soon."
Keep scrolling to read more news
Catch up on all the latest Mumbai news, crime news, current affairs, and a complete guide from food to things to do and events across Mumbai. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates.
Mid-Day is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@middayinfomedialtd) and stay updated with the latest news
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe