Mumbai: Army jawan's wife dies; food poisoning or inhalation of toxic fumes suspected
An Army jawan's wife, who had consumed biryani bought on an express train and later stayed at a fumigated room at the CST, has died and investigators say it could either have been due to food poisoning or inhalation of poisonous fumes after pest control fumigation
An Army jawan's wife, who had consumed biryani bought on an express train and later stayed at a fumigated room at the CST here, has died and investigators say it could either have been due to food poisoning or inhalation of poisonous fumes after pest control fumigation.
CST station. File pic
The victim, identified as Nadia Fatun (28), was declared brought dead at a city hospital on Saturday. The victim and and her husband Jia-ur Rehman (32), a Lance Naik, who was recently transferred to Tamil Nadu, had arrived at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) on Friday. The couple, who hailed from West Bengal, had come to
Mumbai and booked a retiring room after their arrival at CST.
"After reaching the retiring room, they consumed biryani, which they had purchased from the pantry car of Madgaon Express earlier," the official said. However, after some time, the duo felt uneasy and asked the attendant to shift them into another room. The couple was then accommodated in the officer's room. They stayed there overnight, but the following morning they suffered from giddiness and started vomiting.
"The couple felt unconscious in the afternoon. The attendant brought the matter to the notice of deputy station master and the couple was rushed to a nearby hospital.
However, the woman was declared brought dead on arrival, while the jawan is under treatment," police said. During the investigation, it came to light that the room, where the couple had stayed was fumigated by pest control services a few days ago and another tourist, who had stayed at the same room, had suffered giddiness and uneasiness.
He had been admitted to a hospital and discharged after treatment. After learning about this development, state Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) teams were called in yesterday. They collected samples from walls, furniture and others to check if it is a case of residual air poisoning, caused by wrong or excessive pesticide, police said.
"According to doctors it could be either food poisoning or inhalation of insecticide," the officer added. A case of accidental death case has been registered and post-mortem report of the victim is awaited. Further investigation into the case is on.