Mumbai building collapse: Pregnant lady, BMC employee found dead amid debris
Nameeta Shinghade was seven months pregnant when tragedy struck resident of BMC quarters at Dockyard Road; BMC employee allotted flat a month ago found dead
The Pawar family, who resided in the BMC quarters at Dockyard Road which collapsed on Friday, are in shock at the twist of fate. Their daughter, Nameeta Shinghade, who was seven months pregnant, had come to live at her maternal home, but died after the building was reduced to rubble. Shinghade got married last year and awaited her first wedding anniversary when disaster struck the family.
“After the building collapsed, rescue operations were in full swing, and there was news that Nameeta had been saved from the debris and sent to JJ Hospital in the evening. We searched for her at many hospitals, but could not trace her,” said Neha Rajendra Pawar, Shinghade’s sister.
Five members from the Pawar family were trapped inside the debris after the crash. Neelam and her father, Ashok, were rescued on Friday, and the latter is being treated at a hospital. The search for the other two members of the family - Subhadra and Jayshree Pawar - is still on. The family lived on the first floor of the building.
Tushar Pawar, Shinghade’s brother, left the house a couple of minutes before the collapse. “Tushar left home at 5.30 am as usual. My grandmother went down to drop him because it was dark outside. She was on her way up to the house when the building crashed. We have not found her yet,” said Neha.
Meanwhile, Amol Patankar, the BMC employee, who was allotted a home in the BMC quarters just a month ago by the corporation, was found dead beneath the rubble. Patankar’s body was found amid the debris at 10 am on Saturday.
In its September 27 edition, MiD DAY reported about how the Patankars were among the two families who were allotted flats in the building in August in spite of BMC being fully aware that the building needed major repairs.
Amol had moved in with his wife just a month ago. Mangesh Jadhav, his brother-in-law, said, “My sister, Pooja, and Amol were very excited about their new home. They had spent almost R80,000 on renovating it. The BMC had not issued any notice about the building being dilapidated. We did a thorough check but found nothing. They wouldn’t have moved in had they known what was in store.”
Pooja was removed from the debris on September 27 and is in the ICU at JJ hospital. “My sister was in the kitchen when Amol went for a bath. That’s when the ceiling fell on her, and Amol was stuck in the bathroom.”