Mumbai: Cracker mishaps send 3 kids to burns centre
A seven and a four-year-old sustained injuries on their faces; a six-year-old girl from Dhule suffered from 19 per cent burns on her back while playing with firecrackers
The festival of lights turned into a nightmare for kids who were burned while playing with firecrackers during Diwali. The National Burns Centre (NBC) in Airoli witnessed six burns cases, including two minors from the city and a six-year-old girl from Dhule.
Vachi Agrawal suffered 19 per cent burns on her back when she was celebrating Diwali with her friends at her residence in Dhule. Her father, Brijesh Agrawal, said, “She was holding a pencil firecracker and playing with her friend when she tried to hide it.
The flames from the firecracker caught her dress and burned her back.” The six-year-old’s family took her to a local physician and later admitted her at the NBC on October 24. While is she currently admitted in the ICU, doctors say she is out of danger.
Flames burn face
Seven-year-old Hardik Parmar sustained four per cent burn injuries on his face when he was standing next to his friend who was trying to light the firecracker powder. His father, Durgesh Parmar, said that his son had gone to see what his friend was doing and the powder exploded, burning Hardik’s face.
“One of his friends had collected the black powder and my son was standing close to him when he lit it. The flames burnt his face,” said Durgesh. Hardik was discharged after his wounds were treated. In a similar case, a four-year-old sustained three per cent burns on his face after a flower pot firework exploded while he was trying to light it.
The victim, Druva Bhosle’s face was swollen and he sustained burns on his eyelids. His father, Praful Bhosle, said, “The incident took place on the day of Laxmi Pujan. He was not able to open his eyes for some time. Now, his condition is stable.”
According to doctors at the NBC, the two kids with face burns will take another 15 days to recover, while the six-year-old should recover within a month’s time. Dr Shilpa Karnik, administrator at the NBC, said, “Every year, we observe more face burn injuries.
Though the number may seem less, face injury cases are more critical. At present, the three kids are stable and out of danger.” She added that in most cases of face burn injuries, the cause of the accident is due to explosion of a firecracker when the victim is trying to light it. She stressed the need to educate children about the harmful effects of firecrackers.