Mumbai Crime: Woman nabs her assailant and drags him to the police station

Jul 12, 2017, 12:45 IST | mid-day online correspondent

Woman in Vile Parle nabs her assailant and drags him to the nearby police station; cops make her wait for 2 hours, even ask her why she was out late at night

Sexual assault
Representational Image

In a case highlighting police apathy and how women are standing up to their assailants, a Mumbai woman nabbed her harasser and dragged him to the police station herself, to get him arrested.

In a report by the Times of India, the incident took place on a desolate street in Vile Parle (E), late on Monday night. The lady, a 30-something media professional nabbed her harasser and took him to a nearby police station where she had to wait for over 2.5 hours till a case was filed against the man. To add insult to injuries, she was asked unrelated questions and even why she was out so late at night.

The woman’s ordeal started when at around 10.45pm , she was returning from her relative’s place on foot. She had reached MG Cross Road when a man brushed against her as he walked past her. She confronted him and hit him. On asking him why he did what he did, the man brazenly replied that it was by mistake. In a statement to TOI, the lady said, "I was struck by the man's audacity. The road was wide enough for him to have walked at a distance."

The woman then told him to come with her to the police station and, shockingly, the man said he didn’t mind as he had not done anything wrong. “There was nobody in the lane who could help. I started to drag him to a beat chowky (near the railway station)," she told TOI.

Also Read: Greater Noida: Woman accuses two engineers of attempting to rape her

As she neared the police station, dragging her assailant, a crowd had started to gather. But all she found there was a lone constable, who told her that she had to go to the police station – which was near the airport. In her statement, the lady said, "I was told I'd have to go to the police station (near the domestic airport). But there was no female cop to accompany me, so we'd have to wait. The constable grilled the harasser about his family , place of work etc... Around 11.40pm, a police vehicle drove us down to the police station."

Once a woman constable did arrive, the woman had to narrate the incident thrice. Twice at the beat chowky, and once at the police station. "I was asked irrelevant details about my brother, sister-in-law and even my nephew, including their names and ages. Police didn't know what section to book the offender under. One of the personnel said I'd have to go for a medical check-up, while another said it was not needed. They then referred to a book. The printer wasn't working, so they had to step out to get a photocopy of the FIR," she told TOI

Also Read: Thane: Karate trainer held for sexually abusing minor

She also added that the lady constable wanted to know why she was out so late. She told TOI, "I replied 10.45pm wasn't late and many women worked till night. Meanwhile, I posted the goings-on on Facebook, and a friend copied it to Mumbai police's Twitter handle. The web team checked on me. Things started moving swiftly after a senior officer arrived."

The entire process toke 2.5 hours at the police station and they finally pressed charges against the harasser, Sanjay babu. He was produced before a magistrate court on Tuesday and remanded to police custody.


Trending Videos

Watch video: When Mamta's topless photo created controversy


Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Go to top