Mumbai Crime: 47-year-old rape accused escapes from police custody in Versova
According to sources, the accused was arrested for allegedly raping a minor girl on Saturday by Versova Police. The accused was produced before the special sessions court and was granted three days custody
A 47-year-old rape accused managed to run away from the Versova Police's custody on Monday evening. According to reports, the accused was taken to Cooper hospital for a medical examination prior to putting him behind bars.
According to sources, the accused was arrested for allegedly raping a minor girl on Saturday by Versova Police. The accused was produced before the special sessions court and was granted three days custody. Since the accused was a diabetic patient, he was first taken for a medical examination at JJ Hospital. He was then brought back to the Versova Police station for further interrogation.
"On Monday evening, the accused was supposed to be taken to the police station in Andheri, for which, a few medical reports were required. For this, he was taken to Cooper hospital. On the pretext of using the washroom, the accused found the right time and decided to flee from the hospital via a window," revealed a source.
"Following this, the Versova Police brought his entire family to the police station. This was in order to pressurise the accused in order to return to the police station and surrender. after the question was raised by some local the family allowed to go. " a source added.
The accused was arrested on Saturday for allegedly raping a minor girl who is mentally unstable. He was arrested under section 376 of IPC and relevant sections of the POCSO Act.
When police officials of the Versova Police were contacted, they refused to comment on the case. A senior officer attached to the police station denied any such incident took place.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
- British Royal kids George, Charlotte and Louis play in the woods
Rape accused Karan Oberoi sent to 14-day judicial custody by Andheri Court