Mumbai Crime: Civic hospital doctor molests intern in Vashi; arrested
A doctor working at the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation hospital at Vashi was arrested for allegedly molesting an intern
A 32-year-old doctor working at the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) hospital at Vashi was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly molesting an intern. The accused identified as Anurag Narwade, a resident of Ghansoli, joined the hospital six months ago. Earlier, he had worked at the same medical college in Navi Mumbai where the 25-year-old complainant is a student.
The victim in her statement said, while the accused was working on the night shift on Sunday, he took her to a joggers’ park located near the hospital where he first molested and later, at the hospital’s premises. Sanjeev Dhumal, an Inspector from Vashi police station, said, "The woman is an MBBS student. As part of her curriculum, she joined the hospital as an intern on May 17. She had to work on both day and night shifts. Around 12.45am on Sunday when she was at work, the accused suggested they go jogging at a park for a break. Since the doctor was her senior, she did not refuse."
"In the park, the doctor first offered her a bottle of beer, but she declined. After he drank some of it, he started touching her inappropriately," the officer added. The victim woman approached the police on Monday, and registered a complaint against the doctor. The police arrested the accused on Tuesday and booked a case under sections 354 (sexual harassment), 354a (physical contact and advances involving unwelcome and explicit sexual overtures), and 354d (stalking) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
According to the Hindustan Times, the sub-inspector, Sarita Musale from Vashi police station, said, "We produced him in court on Tuesday. The court initially remanded him in police custody for 14 days. However, the accused later applied for bail and the court granted it." An official from the hospital said, "Anurag Narwade had joined the hospital just a few months ago. We did not interact with him much. But his overall behaviour was satisfactory." Despite repeated attempts, Dr Prashant Jawade, medical superintendent of the hospital, was unavailable for comments.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Did the accused remove her suicide note, ask family
- Nair Hospital's first-year PG student: Worked 24 hours... six more hours to go
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: All 3 accused arrested, likely to be produced in court today
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Make central anti-ragging law more stringent, says state
- Mumbai Crime: 46-year-old rape accused who fled from hospital arrested in Gujarat
- Mumbai: New animal rescue centre at Shilphata to ease SGNP's load
- Aditya Pancholi case: Even after repeated reminders, actress yet to record statement
- With SC order, BMC can finally demolish hutments at Tansa
- Filmy terrorists infiltrate Vasai, nabbed by alert former BSF jawan
- Maharashtra HSC results 2019: Mumbai pass percentage drops by four points
- Nalasopara's corporator Arun Jadhav wanted in forgery case arrested
- 4-year-old girl raped during parent-teacher meet at school
- Divya Spandana: From South actress to Rahul Gandhi's social media guru
- Mumbai gyms where Bollywood stars go to get a toned and fab body
- The village no woman wants to get married into!
- India's first Four-Wheeler Auto Rickshaw Comes to Mumbai
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Pervert arrested for molesting a minor at Mumbai Central station's foot over bridge