Mumbai crime: Madrasa principal held on sexual assault charge

Mar 03, 2014, 07:35 IST | Sagar Rajput

Five female students studying at a Wadala-based madrasa lodge complaint against principal, his assistant on Saturday, accusing them of inappropriate behaviour and molestation

The Wadala Truck Terminal police officials have arrested the principal of a Wadala-based madrasa for sexually assaulting five female students who would come to study at the religious school.

Abrar-ul-Haq and his assistant Irfan both have been booked under sections 354, 509, 34 of the IPC and sections 8 and 12 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Assault Act.

Case filed
The case was registered on Saturday after which the principal was arrested, while the police are searching for Irfan. According to the police, the duo had been abusing and molesting the girls since January last year.

The parents had complained to the school trustee five months ago, but the abuse continued. Irked with no action being taken against the accused, they approached the local cops.

Senior Police Inspector Suhas Garud from Wadala TT police station said, “Five female students studying in the madrasa approached us, following which we registered the offence and arrested the accused from the madrasa.”

Garud further added, “A 15-year-old girl was touched inappropriately and kissed several times by the duo while she helped out in the kitchen, making food for the teachers working in the madrasa.”

The girls in their complaint have stated that Haq would pass lewd comments at them and had even asked one of the complainant’s ‘to come with him for a night and he would give her anything she desires’. “Haq has been working in the madrasa for two-and-a-half years, residing within the premises.

He was previously working in Benaras,” said Garud, adding, “The parents of the survivors had complained to the trustee of the madrasa five months ago and were waiting for action to be taken, but nothing was initiated against the principal.

Action was, however, taken against Irfan and he was removed from the madrasa four months ago.” Police are trying to trace Irfan after learning from sources that he is currently in Lucknow. Meanwhile, Haq has been remanded in police custody till March 7.

>> Kin had complained to school’s trustee five months ago
>> No action was taken against the principal
>> Duo booked for molestation and sexual assault

Go to top