Mumbai: Five days after man jumped off plane, DGCA says it wasn't informed

Apr 02, 2015, 07:07 IST | Neha L M Tripathi

A senior Directorate General of Civil Aviation official said no action had been taken against anyone as they had not been informed; airline claims it had intimated aviation regulator

Akash Jain, (30), the medical representative from Jalandhar who had caused a security scare at the city airport by jumping off a Jet Airways plane through its emergency exit on March 27, was released on bail yesterday.

Also read: Security scare at Mumbai airport after man jumps off plane, walks away

After his arrest, Jain (left) had said he had jumped off the plane as he wanted to do an Akshay Kumar stunt
After his arrest, Jain (left) had said he had jumped off the plane as he wanted to do an Akshay Kumar stunt

But, even five days after the incident, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), has taken no action in the matter. A senior DGCA official when contacted, claimed that they had not been informed and thus, no action was initiated. Jet Airways, however, said they had informed the aviation regulator about the incident.

mid-day’s report on March 28
mid-day’s report on March 28

A senior airport official said, “It isn’t an issue to be taken lightly, as the security of the airport is at stake. When the airline staff was present near the aircraft why didn’t they grab the passenger there and then? What
is the point in informing the security agencies after the incident took place?”

Despite repeated calls and text messages J S Rawat, Joint Director General (Air Safety), remained unavailable for comment. Speaking to mid-day, Senior Police Inspector of Airport Police Rajendra Nagbhire said, “Jain’s uncle had come to Mumbai and completed all the formalities of his nephew’s bail. Jain will, however, have to come for the hearing as per the date given by the court.”

The incident
Akash Jain, a passenger who travelled from Chandigarh to Mumbai on March 27 jumped off the plane from an emergency exit and coolly walked away, when the aircraft had landed at the domestic terminal. Jain was later seen in CCTV footage leaving the terminal at 3.15 pm.

The Jet security staff around 3.40 pm informed security agencies at the domestic terminal. He had been travelling by 9W 469 (seat number 20F), he opened the emergency door and jumped down in the apron area and left the airport through terminal 1B’s arrival.

Had intimated DGCA: Jet
Jet Airways, in its official statement, said, “This being a security related incident, a detailed report has been sent to the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS). DGCA has also been intimated.”

Go to top