Recipe of the week: Surmai Curry with lobster butter rice
Here is the recipe of Surmai Curry with lobster butter rice, a tantalizing dish that is quick to cook, easy to serve, and great to eat...
Surmai Curry with lobster butter rice
Mumbai’s love for seafood is never-ending. From prawn tandoori to bombil fry, and from pomfret masala to bangda fry, the city dwells in a variety of seafood delicacies. Surmai, another popular seafood in Mumbai, is prepared in uncountable ways to meet the tastes and demands of fish lovers. One such preparation is Surmai Curry. Take a look at the recipe of Surmai Curry with lobster butter rice
For the Marinade
1. 1 tamarind
2. 2 tsp. red Chilli powder
3. 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
4. 1/2 tsp. salt
For the Masala Paste
1. 2 cups fresh grated coconut
2. 1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
3. 4 garlic cloves
4. 3 tbsp. coriander seeds
5. 10 fried fenugreek seeds
6. 3 tbsp. red Chilli powder
7. 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
8. Small lemon sized tamarind
For the rice
2 tbsp. butter
1 lobster with shell which is to be made into small cubes
1/2 tsp. salt and lime
Surmai curry recipe
1. Soak the tamarind in bowl of water and squeeze out the thick pulp from it.
2. Mix together the tamarind pulp, red Chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and make a thick paste. Use water if required.
3. Marinate the fish in this paste and Keep this marinated fish in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Grind together the coconut, onions, garlic, cloves, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, red Chilli powder, and turmeric powder along with 1/2 cup of water and make a smooth masala paste.
5. Hot the pot and add the masala paste and salt along with 1 cup of water. Mix well.
6. Add sufficient water to get the desired consistency of the curry. Bring it to boil.
7. Now, add the marinated fish slices to it.
8. Cook it on a low medium flame till the fish becomes soft. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the flame.
Melt butter in a hot pan and sautee the lobster cube.
Add salt and in the end put fresh lime juice. Serve with the shell of lobster for garnishing.
(Recipe by: Kamlesh Rawat
Executive Chef, Grand Sarovar Premiere)