Mumbai: Gang rape accused nabbed after a year on the run

Jul 06, 2016, 06:59 IST | Asif Rizvi

The 20-year-old and three of his friends had raped a minor girl in May last year

A 20-year-old youth was arrested on Monday after a year of thorough search in connection to a gang rape case committed in May 2015. Umesh Kavde was absconding right after the incident and was arrested from a Pune hotel where he used to work as a cook.

On May 24, 2015, Umesh and three of his friends forced a 14-year-old girl to drink alcohol and then gang raped her. The other three accused — Salman Khan, Rajkumar Singh and Dinesh Yadav — were arrested the next day, while Umesh fled after learning that the police was searching for him.

“We asked his relatives, acquaintances about him and visited the places he has been to like Osmanabad, Ahmadnagar, Gulbarga and Pune,” said Paramjit Singh Dahiya, DCP Zone V, adding that Umesh’s phone was kept on surveillance, which was switched off after his escape from Mumbai.

Umesh changed his phone number and began calling his family with it. Police kept tabs on one of the numbers used by Umesh’s brother and traced his location. “We intercepted one such call and the location was traced to the outskirts of Pune. He managed to get a job in a hotel after doing petty jobs,” said Dahiya.

Umesh, originally from Osmanabad has been booked under sections 363 (kidnapping), 376D (gang rape), 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code and Sections 4, 6 and 8 POCSO Act.

The case
Last year in May, the girl had a fight with her grandmother and left the house. She decided to catch a train from Kurla to meet her friend in J&K. She met the accused at the station, who offered to help her buy the ticket. The accused first took her to CST and tricked her into believing that no tickets were available for the day. They then offered to let her stay at their place in Dharavi for the night. Once at home, the accused forced her to drink alcohol and took turns to rape her.

Go to top