Mumbai has room for Preeti's family

May 12, 2013, 00:36 IST | Vedika Chaubey

Acid attack victim's family, who had been refused a room by WR officials, finally find free accommodation in a dharamshala near CST

Even as rapes, acid attacks and molestations continue to rock Mumbai, the city showed it still has a big heart.

Two days after MiD DAY highlighted the plight of acid attack victim Preeti Rathi’s family members, including her father, who was running from pillar to post for his daughter’s treatment but had no place to stay in Mumbai, a social activist has helped them find free accommodation inside the Sant Gadge Maharaj Dharamshala compound.

Preeti, who had arrived in Mumbai from Delhi to take up a job of a nurse, was the victim of an acid attack as she stepped off the train in the city. She is currently battling for survival at Masina Hospital in Byculla.
On Saturday, Preeti’s family members, said they were touched at the way strangers had come forward to help them.

Preeti’s uncle Vinod Dahiya, who had been travelling with the girl on the Garib Rath train when she was attacked, said, “I am very thankful to the media. It is because of media coverage and attention that we have received help.”

On Friday evening, social activist Dharam Mishra came forward to help Dahiya and Preeti’s father and with the help of a few other people, managed to arrange for a room for the family at the dharamshala until Preeti

“We have been helping the family because they are going through a tough phase in life. We wanted to provide some solace to them. I read their story in newspapers and then contacted the family,” Mishra told Sunday MiD Day.

Incidentally, the family had also approached Western Railway officials for accommodation, but they were refused them on the grounds that free accommodation could not be provided to just anyone.

But once again the Rathi family has found help from common people. Mishra will soon meet authorities of the hospital where Preeti was to join as a nurse and request them to give her the job for which she had arrived
in Mumbai.

“First we want to provide mental peace to her family members, get them a comfortable place to stay in and then request the hospital to give her the job she had earned on merit. If she manages to retain her job, it will help her healing process too.

After the attack, she had asked in writing about her job and it shows that she is very concerned about it,” added Mishra. 

The story so far
On May 2, Amar Singh and Preeti Rathi arrived in Mumbai. Their visit turned into a nightmare after an unknown youth hurled acid on Preeti’s face shortly after they got off the Garib Rath from New Delhi at Bandra Terminus. She had travelled to the city to take up a new job as a nurse lieutenant at the Army Medical Hospital in Colaba, south Mumbai. The accident left Preeti partially blinded in one eye. 

Go to top