Mumbai high-rise fire doused; colling operations on
A major fire, which broke out at a multi-storied building in south Mumbai on Friday evening, has been brought under control
A major fire broke out in a high-rise at Kemps Corner in south Mumbai on Friday evening.
The blaze, which started on the 12th floor of the 26-storied Mont Blanc building, has now been doused. According to fire brigade officials, cooling operation is going on.
All families up to 10th floor have been evacuated and the fire brigade is attempting the rescue the stranded families on the floors above..
Fourteen fire engines, seven water tankers and four ambulances have been rushed to the spot.
"People who reside above the 12th floor are trapped in their apartments. They cannot come down as the smoke had engulfed the entire floor," said Viraz, a resident.
Additional Commissioner of Police (South) Region Krishna Prakash told MiD DAY, “The flat on the twelfth floor of Mount Blanc building has been gutted and we have managed to rescue people who were staying upto10th floor. Each floor has four flats and we are putting our efforts to evacuate people residing on 13th floor and above.”
When asked the reason for fire, the officer said, “Our priority is to rescue the human life first and then probe the reason for fire.”
Meanwhile, senior police officers at the spot told this newspaper that people including children, elders and grown-ups staying in the 64 flats above the 12th floor are trapped.
Preliminary inquires revealed that the fire might have broken due to piped gas connection, however the exact reason for fire can not be established till the fire department conducts its probe.
Four firemen and two fire officers have sustained injuries according to the fire department and rushed to the Breach Candy hospital.
Dr Geetika Koppikar, medical director of Breach Candy hospital, said," 6 people were brought to the causality warrd, out of which one was given a discharge as he had sustained only superficial burns. The five others are stable and will be shifted to other hospital's burns unit." She added, "Except for one male patient who sustained 22-23 per cent burns the other only had minor burns."
Gowalia Tank fire station officer Mahendra Desai and firemen Sandeep Vithal, Sunil Appa and Kamlakar Waman have been shifted to the National Burns Centre in Airoli. Ravindra Digambar Valunj of the Byculla fire station has been admitted to the Nair Hospital with head injuries.
Mumbai fire: Short-circuit may have caused blaze in Parel high-rise