Mumbai: Man killed as car falls in pit dug for drainage work
A civic rescue team rushed to the spot and pulled out the car from the pit
A 31-year-old man was killed on Wednesday morning after his car fell into a pit dug up for drainage work in Thane city of Maharashtra, an official said.
The incident took place around 6.15 am near Mulla Baug bus depot here, he said. The victim, Sachin Kakodkar, was driving his car from a housing society here towards Ghodbunder Road when the vehicle accidentally fell into the pit dug for laying a drainage pipeline, Thane's regional disaster management cell chief Santosh Kadam said.
A civic rescue team rushed to the spot and pulled out the car from the pit, he said. Kakodkar was taken out of the car rushed to a private hospital where doctors declared him dead, he said.
The drainage work was being carried out by a private contractor, he added.
Previous accidents in Mumbai:
May 11, 2019: At least six people, including a 70-year-woman, died and two others were injured when two cars and a bike collided on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway in Palghar district on Friday. The incident took place at 4:30 pm near Kasa when Navle, the biker, tried to cross the busy highway through a gap in the divider.
May 9, 2019: In a tragic accident, a double-decker bus crashed into an overhead railing bringing traffic in Santacruz on its knees. The impact was such that it left huge damage on the upper deck of the bus and damaged three front seats of the upper deck.
February 7, 2019: The Khar police arrested a bus driver of Podar International School after he allegedly rammed the vehicle into a BMW car. Apparently, the driver blamed a piece of bamboo for the accident which he was using as a gear stick, said the police.
January 2, 2019: A speeding car rammed into a 24-year-old pedestrian on Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR) when she was returning home after meeting a friend, injuring her seriously. The impact of the accident caught on CCTV, was so severe that the woman, Sailee Prakash Rane, was thrown into the air before falling on the concrete road.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai police probe Aditya Pancholi for 'assault and exploitation'
- Sion Hospital rape: He threatened to strangle me to death, says victim
- Video of sickle brandishing 'dada' lands him in jail in Wakad
- Mumbai: Toy gun breaks off as caretaker tries to rob Malad businessmen
- Five years on, Mumbai University continues to use old, shabby library
- Mumbai recalls 'fine gentleman' Nazir Hoosein behind Liberty Cinema
- Carrom player accident: Dombivli residents want working traffic lights, dedicated cops
- Forced to leave Mumbai, Pandey now struggles as a tea-seller in Kashi
- New BMC chief Pravin Pardeshi brings engineers back from leave
- Mumbai: Charkop citizens protest BMC's tree 'trimming'
- Witness statements don't support Tanushree Dutta's sexual harassment story, says Mumbai cops
- Sleepless on SV Road: Mumbai Metro 2B din ruins nights of Santacruz residents
- Skymet: Below normal rainfall expected in monsoon, 15 per cent chance of drought
- Mumbai Crime: Nigerian duo arrested for stealing money from ATMs
- Body of unidentified woman found at Juhu Chowpatty
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Mumbai Crime: Man kills model after sex, stuffs body in suitcase