Mumbai: Mother, daughter hurt in fire inside Malwani flat

Feb 08, 2018, 18:22 IST | Samiullah Khan

Two people were injured in a fire that broke out in the sixth floor flat of a building in Malwani around 6.30 am today

The flat where the fire broke out
The flat where the fire broke out

Two people were injured in a fire that broke out in the sixth floor flat of a building in Malwani around 6.30 am today. Nilofer Shaikh, 30, and her daughter, Iqra, 6, suffered 60% and 30% burns respectively in the fire that had started in the kitchen.

Nilofer was helping Iqra get ready for school and had gone to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She was unaware that the gas cylinder had leaked through the night and the gas had accumulated in the kitchen. Iqra had followed her into the kitchen and the moment Nilofer lit the burner, a fire broke out, trapping the mother and daughter. Both started shouting for help and Nilofer's husband, Shahid Shaikh, who was in the washroom, rushed out to save the duo.

Nilofer and Iqra were taken to the nearest Care Hospital for treatment. Sources said the duo might be shifted to Masina Hospital for treatment.

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai, National and International news here

Download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Trending Video

Mumbai fire brigade rescues crow stuck inside Monorail girder